Boomer47 front tires locked up

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #11  
There are driven gears on each side if it's a drop axle design. Drain plugs on each side should be magnetic. Check for shrapnel there first. Bils TYM broke one of the drop shafts and it did the same thing. Fairly easy fix with no special tools other than snap ring pliers.

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up
So the plot thickens. Although yesterday I was able to raise the front end up with the bucket, I only checked to make sure each wheel turned separately. They do turn freely on their own, but what I've realized is that they turn now in opposite directions. Any idea what that would be a symptom of?

If the ring and pinion are locked, you should be able to spin one tire and watch the other one turn in the opposite direction with the front axle off of the ground. Does that work or is each wheel locked?
I found it to be just as you had said. The tires spin in opposite directions. Would your suggestion for that being still tearing it apart to find out where the damage is?

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #14  
Turning it by hand it may be normal to see reverse rotation just like a vehicle. When you turn the wheels does the front driveshaft turn freely with 4wd off? Possible frozen ujoint causing your binding?

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #15  
With wheels off the ground and front wheel assist disengaged can you turn the front axle input shaft by hand?

My Branson input shaft bearings failed which randomly locked up the front wheels.

Turning it by hand it may be normal to see reverse rotation just like a vehicle. When you turn the wheels does the front driveshaft turn freely with 4wd off? Possible frozen ujoint causing your binding?

With the 4 wheel drive off and spinning the front tires, the drive shaft does not move. However, the drive shaft still turns freely by hand. It also has play going back-and-forth 1". I don't know if that is normal or not.

Last edited:
With wheels off the ground and front wheel assist disengaged can you turn the front axle input shaft by hand?

My Branson input shaft bearings failed which randomly locked up the front wheels.
Yes, with the front wheels off the ground and the front wheel assist off, the drive shaft spins freely. However, it also moves back-and-forth 1". Is that normal?

/ Boomer47 front tires locked up #19  
Yes, with the front wheels off the ground and the front wheel assist off, the drive shaft spins freely. However, it also moves back-and-forth 1". Is that normal?
Does one or both wheels also turn when you turn the input shaft? If not you have a problem with input portion of front axle.

Not sure on the freeplay back and forth but that seems excessive.

No, neither one of the wheels turned when I turn the input shaft. I do believe now that that's where the problem is. I'm now starting to get a small leak coming out from the protective housing that enshrouds the input shaft into the front differential.