Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I wound up with this oxy/acy setup and know nothing about them. I was hoping others could fill me in. I already have a large acy/oxy setup so I am slightly clued it but I just use it for heating and cutting. My use is strictly ag equipment repairs and rebuild.

In the pictures below I can see acy written on one of the dual tanks so the other must be oxygen. I'll presume this is for minor cutting, heating and brazing? Can I add check valves to this? Are these refillable at a normal gas dealer or do they swap tanks? Do my hoses look OK? Does this operate the same as a bigger setup?

What is the other, separate tank? It has an acy sticker and a hose on it but I can't imagine an acy tank by itself. What is it? Any idea of the value of this whole setup?

Any information helpful since this is something outside of my normal travels. Thank you all in advance. IMG_3867.jpgIMG_3868.jpg

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #2  
The other tank is an acetylene plumbers tank, for sweating copper. Yes, you can add check valves. This is the same as a large setup, just portable. As far as your LWS goes, they may or may not fill the tanks. Some won't fill if you didn't buy from them. Are the tanks even current?

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #3  
The stand alone tank is known as an acetylene "B" tank and has a "Turbo Torch" setup, the smaller one is an "MC" tank.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding
The other tank is an acetylene plumbers tank, for sweating copper. Yes, you can add check valves. This is the same as a large setup, just portable. As far as your LWS goes, they may or may not fill the tanks. Some won't fill if you didn't buy from them. Are the tanks even current?
So the twin tanks aren't like a big tank and for heating? Just plumbing? How do I know if tanks are current. These things are new to me.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #5  
So the twin tanks aren't like a big tank and for heating? Just plumbing? How do I know if tanks are current. These things are new to me.
Twin tanks are setup to do anything a large 0xy/acet rig will do such as cutting, welding and heating, the smaller tank as mentioned is typically used for joining copper tube.

Tanks are inspected and stamped near the top valve with dates for safety purposes. A local supplier can give you the tank status or google can break it down.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #6  
The acetylene is actually an MC size and the oxygen is an R20. 20cf. These are customer owned tanks and can be swapped at any LWS. Use sparingly. The cost to fill the tanks is astronomical. Probably $20 per tank these fine days.

The acetylene is actually an MC size and the oxygen is an R20. 20cf. These are customer owned tanks and can be swapped at any LWS. Use sparingly. The cost to fill the tanks is astronomical. Probably $20 per tank these fine days.
I haven't had my standard size tanks filled in a couple of years. Any idea how much prices are up?

What's an outfit like shown in the pictures worth for resale?

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #9  
I haven't had my standard size tanks filled in a couple of years. Any idea how much prices are up?
Had a 20 cf cylinder of argon shield gas for the mig refilled recently and it was just under $40.

/ Bought a portable oxy/acy setup and need help understanding #10  
Tanks that size will swap out anywhere.