Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ?

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #11  
Depends on what type of "undercoating" you are talking about.

If your talking about the stuff that sets up and is like a rubberized coating.....kinda like rhino liner in a truck bed....I have heard it isnt good in the northern snow/salt states. Because any hole or imperfection in it now allows moisture, and it traps said moisture and accelerates the problem.

Better solution is some type of liquid form. On my vehicles, I use fluid film. Can buy it by the 5-gal pail. And a high pressure airless paint sprayer like a graco or similar apply it pretty quickly.
And Fluid Film has a thicker companion product Woolwax.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #12  
We have a couple new vehicles going in to get fluid film applied in the next couple weeks. Its like 400.00 per so its not particularly expensive. My 2017 F450 dump truck frame/under carriage was blasted and re painted this past summer.. 12K miles and the salt from the past 5 years was starting to get bad. Ill get that one sprayed with fluid film as well...It was 5200.00 to blast and re paint it.. Had I fluid filmed it from new at 450 per once a year..I would be ahead Now I'm not.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #13  
My two vehicles have been Krown coated by a franchise yearly since new (2018 Ram, 19 Four Runner) Never seen snow, road salt or ice melting chemicals without it. $150 for the Ram. $125 4Runner.

I have a Fluid Film/Wool Wax applicator that I protect my snow plows, implements myself. Attempted the 4Runner once but it’s messy and difficult without a lift.

There are very few products I have as much faith in as waxed based rust protection.

Several auto shops perform routine mx on my car and truck. The service managers comment on the condition of the body and frame. I live in Michigan so the roads in the winter are blanketed with what I call “rust enhancers” and it is aggressive in the destruction of autos.

In my career I have traveled all over the US and when I’m in states that are absent of winter snow, the cars are paint faded but solid. The locals probably see me staring at the great condition of 20 year old vehicles and know I’m a northerner.

If you are going to keep the PU for a long time and live in Northern States that salt the roads…..It may be a good idea to protect it.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #14  
And remember - Salt from other sources- like ocean water are also rust enhancers, so it's not JUST a northern problem. But the freeze/thaw cycle enhances it.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #15  
I have a 2017 F150 and I use Fluid Film on mine. I just spot spray it where I see any rust starting to form. To be honest I think if I did nothing that woukd be fine too.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #17  
I do the oil base drippy undercoated not the sticky one... yes it leaks, stinks and smoke off the exhaust at first, but it works and it's not a scam. I live in northern Ontario Canada and they use lots of salt on the roads and I do 20 000 km a year with my truck. Its a 2012 dodge ram 1500 and the frame is still black, my fenders and side panels are still rust free. I do it once a year.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #18  
given your location, yes. the 1st thing i did when i purchased my new '92 Toyota 4x4 was to have it undercoated. @ 300k & 30 yrs, not a sign of rust. be sure to remove wheel well shrouds to do the complete job, regards.
in addition 3M has spray cans of it that you can spot treat

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #19  
In Northern New England Fluid Film is the preferred product in my circles .

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #20  
not sure how long lasting FF is vs commercial undercoat.