Box blade for L3240

/ Box blade for L3240 #1  

TMGT

Elite Member
Tractor
B2620
Looking to get a larger blade for the L3240, want something heavy enough for plenty of counterweight with my unloaded turfs.

Current choices are a local used Woods SR25HD or ordering a EA extreme with swinging tailgate. The woods nice blade but worried it might be a bit much for the tractor, weighs about 1000lbs and is 78" wide, the EA blade I'm looking at is also 78" because its actually less expensive then the 72" version (at least until they fix the price) and weighs about 800lbs.

Anyone with experience of a L3240 have any advice on whether the Woods would be too much for doing road maintenance? I like the weight and the swing down rippers, just hate to get it and find its too much for the tractor.

Was going to build one but with steel prices where they are and not much time I decided to just buy, unfortunately its surprisingly hard to find a decent 6ft heavy box blade around my area, especially for a good price.

Primary uses are road maintenance but will also be doing grading.

/ Box blade for L3240 #2  
Box blades when working hard are a real drag on a machine.I have a L4240 and a six foot box blade;at times that box blade is all my tractor wants.

/ Box blade for L3240
It is always a balance between a blade that is too wide to work in heavy material and allows you to widest path on lighter materials.

Do you ever run out of power or is it just traction limited?
Is yours hst or gear?

/ Box blade for L3240 #4  
Pulling a box blade with a full load of stone was one of the few times that I had to go to low range;ran out of power not traction.My tractors has loaded R1's/cab and weighs about 7K and HST.
Most times no problem in medium.

/ Box blade for L3240
I'm a little lighter at around 6k, I have both loaded R4 for heavier work and unloaded turfs. I don't think I'd problems running in low/low range if need be, speed isn't a issue for what I'm doing.
I've pulled a full 5ft box of gravel up hill and it didn't seem to know it was back there, I need at least a 6ft due to track width. Not sure the extra 6in would make a huge difference?

How heavy is your box blade?

/ Box blade for L3240 #6  
A few years ago I found a Cammond 66" with the scarifiers mounted to a lever operated lift frame - about 720 lbs. With TnT it's a really productive attachement in terms of work done/hr/pound of tractor. My L3240 has ag tires set 63" outer sidewll to outer sidewall. Try to get one thats just a tad wider than your tires are set - and heavy as you really can't afford at the moment. You'll be glad you did, later. Another way to think about it is in terms of 3pt suspended pounds of implement (plus additional ballast on the box blade, if needed) per foot of cutting edge. That will give you a rough idea of how well it will bite into tough terrain. At some point, my traction runs out, but I'm not running ballasted tires, tire chains, or implement borne ballast.

/ Box blade for L3240
Well I was able to reach an agreement on price for the Woods/Gill SR25HD I was looking at and just got back from picking it up. Its not much to look at but is in decent condition and very hefty (around 1100lbs based on my research).

Now I just need to finish the rear remotes on the tractor so I can put the wheel back on and try it out!

Grabbed a quick pic while I was refueling.
20210420_192529.jpeg

/ Box blade for L3240
Finally got a chance to mount up the box blade, seems like a great match. The road was too dry to grade but I did pull some dirt around and had no problem, even with the loader off.
Width is just right also, I do have to remove my drawbar because the lock bar barely hits it with the rippers in the up position.
20210429_163927.jpeg
20210429_163936.jpeg
20210429_163949.jpeg