Box Scraper Box Blade Level Meter?

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Has anyone used any type of levelling meter (tilt meter) on their box blades when grading? I was thinking of a means of trying to keep the blade level when the tractor is not to make a level grade. This would be done through a top 'n' tilt type set-up. I was trying to think of how to do this. One idea was to get a clear tube, fill it with colored water, and use it like a traditional carpenter's type level. Then I started thinking about the possibility of using a tilt meter like everyone uses here to check the tilt of their tractors. I though that would be a good idea. Then if you wanted to put, say a 10% crown on a road you would have a way to measure it precisely and set the angle on your box blade appropriately. Of course, right now I don't have a box blade, top 'n' tilt, or a level.:( Just kinda thinking ahead. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything definate. I was just wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any thoughts.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #2  
I am thinking that there are to many variables to what you are doing.
First of all depending on what you tires are riding on (unless everything is perfectly level before cutting) your angle will be depending on the level of your machine.
If you area wanting lets say a 10% slope that is fine also unless you are wanting to go wider than the cut of your box blade. Then you have to take the width you are wanting to slope, factor you blade width and calculate slope.
I understand exactly what you are trying to do. I will also play with the angles. But what you really need if you are trying to make a sure percent of grade are stakes and grades to go by.
Maybe I am way past what you were wanting to do. If you are wanting to play experiment as I do.
Have fun.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #3  
sorry, I can spell but cannot type. I made a few errors in my previous post.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #4  
There have been at least a couple of guys here that had purchased hydraulic tilt links that had some sort of gauge mounted on them. As I remember it was a very simple sliding bar. Sort of reminded me of the bucket level indicators that so many have on their FEL.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #5  
I have found in grading residential home pads that a level, The type you can buy a Camping World, to mount on the front of a 5th wheel. I mounted this on the top of the BB. This helps me get the pad level quicker. If the pad has a slope, I can set the BB level with the tilt cylinder. As for as the top cylinder goes you can just watch your cutting edge and adjust accordingly.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #6  
I just slapped a cheap magnet torpedo level on my box blade. $2.99 at Ace Hardware and it works great.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #7  
Here is a picture . . .

Attachments

• level.jpg
    level.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 457
   / Box Blade Level Meter? #8  
I think the clear tube idea is a good one. Water may splash around, some sort of oil may work better.
If you were to use section of bicycle wheel to mount the clear tube on that would give you a nice size radius so it would be easy to read.

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #9  
Nelson. it is not working. you blade is not level :)

/ Box Blade Level Meter? #10  
Getting the creative juices flowing:

There is something called a Wixey Dixey angle gauge used for woodworking. It has a digital angle readout.
Wixey.com - Digital Angle Gauge
This is made for woodworking, but does have a nice magnet that would mount to the blade.

OK, here's the creative part: mount the measuring portion to the blade, but then run wires to have the readout mounted on the tractor dash. Sound feasible?

If you really wanted to get creative, you could use a few electronics and have the angle gauge control a hydraulic top link for auto leveling..... Man, wouldn't that be sweet?

Just some crazy thoughts....

-Steve