Box Scraper Box blade opp. Will it work for me?

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
I've been looking at this boxblade for a year now that a local man has for sell in his pasture. I don't have any photos (yet), but it's a 6' very heavy unit. Looks like it's may be a Gannon. No markings on it (just rust). Anyway, it clearly is very heavy duty with hinged rear blade and is rigged to have retracting scarifiers. But, most parts are missing that control the scarifier bar. Not sure if it was originally hydraulic or mechanical. Also, no scarifiers. I think it takes 6 or 7. The man will let me have it for $150. So here's the questions:

1. Will it be too heavy for my 25 HP Kioti? My tractor is heavy (~ 4500 lbs) as setup now. Gear with R4's.

2. How do I tell what size scarifiers to buy? What will they cost me?

3. Will it be difficult to get the scarifier control back in operation. It looks like all parts of the handle/cylinder/linkages are missing. I'd prefer to go mechanical to save my one set of rear remotes for tnt.

4. Is it worth the cost and trouble to get this thing back in good working order?

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #2  
For $150 I would be all over it.. To answer your questions..

1) Not sure, but if it is you can always just try to not cut as much..
2) I have seen scarifiers at TSC, they run about $30 each and from what I remember are only in one size
3) ?? - No clue here, but if you get some pics someone will chip in some help
4) YES - would be my answer - BUT the unknown is the hydraulic for the scarifiers..

good luck

brian

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #3  
Gittyup, that price is a give away. Your lifting capacity is almost 1800 lbs, I can't imagine that BB weighing too much .... but I haven't seen it.

Good Luck

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me?
Yeah, I know it's cheap. I also know I can lift it. But can I pull it effectively?

Plus, it's gonna take a lot of work to get it back in good working order. Also, by the time I buy the parts I'll probably have $500 in it. If it works as new, it'd still be a great deal (assuming I can then pull it). The missing parts on the scarifier lift just scare me.

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #5  
Gittyup, that price is a give away. Your lifting capacity is almost 1800 lbs, I can't imagine that BB weighing too much .... but I haven't seen it.

Good Luck

I would be all over that deal of $150. The woods/gannon extreme duty comes in at about 800# for a 7 foot. That is about the weight of my Gearmore Hydraulic BS. and I gave $1700 for mine.

If I read your post right, You will need two sets of rear remotes for Top-N-Tilt.
Sounds like a good deal to me. Good Luck, Terry

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #6  
Plus, it's gonna take a lot of work to get it back in good working order. Also, by the time I buy the parts I'll probably have $500 in it. If it works as new, it'd still be a great deal (assuming I can then pull it). The missing parts on the scarifier lift just scare me.

Well............................. you were needing that new welder,milling machine,plasma,sandblast cabinet,and HVLP gun anyway.

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #7  
If it was me,unless i used a box blade ALOT,i'd convert it to mechanical
and forget the fancy stuff.
Really,in todays world,whats $150 anyway.Run over tommorrow and get it.

Digger2

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me? #8  
BTW - Just where are you located? Mid-Atlantic could be anywhere, even Bermuda.. If you arent interested, i may be if its close enough..

Brian

/ Box blade opp. Will it work for me?
OK. I stopped and looked at closely again. I hadn't looked at it since summer. So, was going from memory. It turns out it has all its scarifiers and most of the parts for the bar lift (I think). It turns out that it is a GILL and is very very heavy. It's missing the rear blade. But, the guy will throw in the blade in the photo for another $10. I'll have to cut it to length and drill new holes in the hinge plate because the hole pattern is different.

Photos attached. What do you think? Anyone have one like this that could share a picture of how the lift mechanism is supposed to work? It looks like it was mechanical spring assist with some wire cable mechanisms. Do you think I could buy replacement parts for it? Not sure the springs are any good. Just ignore the boom pole and post hole digger laying on it in the photos.

Attachments

• PICT0054_1.jpg
    PICT0054_1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 670
  • PICT0048_1.jpg
    PICT0048_1.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 508
  • PICT0049_1.jpg
    PICT0049_1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 674
  • PICT0050_1.jpg
    PICT0050_1.jpg