Box Blade Receiver Project

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
IMG_1058.JPGIMG_1057.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1053.JPG

This was fun little project. I have a little Jeep trailer I can pull around for firewood etc. I got the shackle mainly to keep dirt out of the receiver.

The receiver is a Curt brand (made in the USA) and was available online. The shackle was also an online purchase. Total with both parts was about $75. I cut the hole in the back of the box with the torch.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #3  
My Box Blade Is a Woods GB72. The the blade portion has a ~2" wide flat spot along the top for added stiffness. Some time ago, I welded a receiver tube onto a length of 1/2" x 3" flat stock with the intention of welding that to the flat on top of the blade, to add even more stiffness, sinc eI would be pulling from there. I just haven't gotten around to finishing up that step yet (I guess it's about time... it's been about 5 years now).

My thinking was that I did not want to disrupt the "roll" of gravel by punching through the blade itself. It will likely require the use of an insert with good bit of drop, once I get it installed.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #4  
I started to make something but stumbled on this.
I think it was for a Gator.

IMG_2614.jpg

It’s been strong enough for everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #5  
The only issue I see is...is a long way back, my van has 500lb ball weight...add hills, undulation and maybe weight transfer or when using trailer with more weight at front, means watch what you hook up.

But the killer would be, inability to see the ball.

Apart from that, good way to also strengthen the box blade.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #6  
Nice job!!

I still haven't figured out how I'm gonna do mine yet.....20181031_174042.jpeg20181031_174100.jpeg

/ Box Blade Receiver Project
Looks like you got an interesting style to try and mount.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #8  
RNeumann's is strong enough the other two not so much

/ Box Blade Receiver Project
RNeumann's is strong enough the other two not so much

Cutting through the freeboard and attaching back to the 3 or 4” box tubing has worked good for me.

/ Box Blade Receiver Project #10  
My version for my LMC HD box blade. This is one of the first mods I did to my BB; it's a very worthwhile and useful mod to make!

9W7fiPQ.jpg

MtMjay3.jpg