Box Scraper converted to rear ballast....

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #1  

opie74

Tractor
Kubota L4060
I have a 60" box scraper that I used on my B2650. Its too small for the L4060 and I have been working out plans to build a concrete ballast box for the 4060 as its primary role will be to work in the woodyard.

As I was sitting here working out selling it to fund a larger box blade, I thought "why not use the old box blade, add some rebar and a form for the bottom and the front, and turn it into a ballast?" It already weighs a few hundred pounds, its quick hitch compatible which I need and it will get the weight wide, low and behind the arms which equals less weight needed.

Am I crazy?

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #2  
It would make one nice ballast box for sure!

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #3  
I have a 60" box scraper that I used on my B2650. Its too small for the L4060 and I have been working out plans to build a concrete ballast box for the 4060 as its primary role will be to work in the woodyard.

As I was sitting here working out selling it to fund a larger box blade, I thought "why not use the old box blade, add some rebar and a form for the bottom and the front, and turn it into a ballast?" It already weighs a few hundred pounds, its quick hitch compatible which I need and it will get the weight wide, low and behind the arms which equals less weight needed.

Am I crazy?

Rather than filling it with concrete, why not build a form to pour a block that will fit on it, but can be removed with your loader if necessary?
I am planning to do this.

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast....
Interesting idea. One of the random thoughts was to just add weight that can be removed.

Ill likely still fill it, Ill never use it behind the 4060. It doesn't have a lot of weight to it which is what made it work well with the 2650.

Interestingly enough, I just purchased a 60" land plane from EA last year... Ill likely see about trading that off for a 72" or 84" box blade. 60" is inside the width of the tires, 72" is just past the tires, but not much.

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #5  
I'd think you could sell the box blade and fund the ballast box with the proceeds... at least around here, used implement prices are so high you may as well buy new stuff :(

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #6  
Interesting idea. One of the random thoughts was to just add weight that can be removed.

Ill likely still fill it, Ill never use it behind the 4060. It doesn't have a lot of weight to it which is what made it work well with the 2650.

Interestingly enough, I just purchased a 60" land plane from EA last year... Ill likely see about trading that off for a 72" or 84" box blade. 60" is inside the width of the tires, 72" is just past the tires, but not much.

If you fill it (permanently, with concrete) The only thing it can ever be is a weight.
If the weight is removable from the box blade, it could be later sold as a used box blade.

Honestly, when I factor in what it would take to build a quick hitch compatible rear ballast, the box blade makes sense. I was already planning to use my existing trailer mover as the foundation for a ballast box... That would to take some finesse to ensure a portion of it fits within the quick hitch.

Things line up well, for me, to just use the old box blade. It just seems simpler as well.

If you fill it (permanently, with concrete) The only thing it can ever be is a weight.
If the weight is removable from the box blade, it could be later sold as a used box blade.

It could also be sold as a quick hitch compatible rear ballast that's low slung and wide.

I get what you're saying, there is value in my circumstance to make it a dedicated rear ballast. Its a TSC (Tarter) box blade. I picked it up for like $400, new, because it was all scratched up at the store.

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #9  
Sell the box blade for a few hundred and spend a small portion of it for your own custom ballast box.... I have about $50 into a 500 pound one for my SCUT.... You really want your ballast to be as compact as possible, it runs into thing if it covers to much territory...

Dale

/ Box Scraper converted to rear ballast.... #10  
Make sure the hitch is strong enough to support the added weight of the concrete.

Also would add that a landplane does not need to be wider than the rear tires, So if the current land plane is working and fits the driveway widths I would keep it.