Brake Controller Advice Needed

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I need to pick your brains about brake controllers. I am in the process of buying a 18', 7K tandem axle trailer-haven't decided on brand yet, but I will be buying in the next couple of weeks. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra. I have been towing a single axle trailer for years, so I am all set with a hitch, etc., but did not use brakes with the 3K trailer.

Whatever I buy, it will have electric brakes on both axles. My truck came with the wiring harness for a controller when I bought it. I would like to have a brake controller that does not have to be fixed under my dash- I still remember banging my knee on the brake controller getting in and out of my dad's pickup. Are there any models that can be easily removed and re-attached whenever I use the trailer?

Any recommended brands or models? Any other advice? I don't mind spending a few bucks for an quality model. I don't want to have to choose from the possibly limited choices at whatever dealership I buy from, and I will be having a close friend who is a factory mechanic install the controller.

Thanks,
Will

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #2  
The Tekonsha Prodigy is an excellent controller and the newer model, the P3, should be a good choice, too. Both, I think, can be had with a removable mount so you can pull it out and store it in the glove box when it's not needed. Prodigy and P3 are both proportional controllers, so the braking is smooth.
John

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #3  
check out etrailer.com they have controllers and an adapter harness if needed!

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #4  
The Tekonsha Prodigy is an excellent controller and the newer model, the P3, should be a good choice, too. Both, I think, can be had with a removable mount so you can pull it out and store it in the glove box when it's not needed. Prodigy and P3 are both proportional controllers, so the braking is smooth.
John
I picked up a P3 last fall for about a buck 32 shipped if I recall. Tekonsha has a pretty good interactive web site where you can check the P3 and others out. I got imediate returns on emails to Tekonsha on questions too.

The P3 comes with two mounts, the standard and a quick disconnect. It also has a nylon case to store it in.

My needs differ from yours in that I am using the controller with my FL70 and a tandem dually with electric brakes. I can instantly crank up the gain with a touch of a button which I like.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #5  
I have had a dozen or so brake controllers. Nothing remarkable at all about any of them. What ever the dealer had on the shelf was OK by me. Last controller I purchased really stood out from the others. It's an Activator II made by Drawtite. It has a digital readout for the adjustable brake setting. This is a feature that I would never do with out now. By far this is the best brake controller I have ever used. It was priced about the same as the other off-the-shelf controllers.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #6  
Most any controller can be removed quickly but you will still have the mount. The main reason they come in and out easily is to use in multiple vehicles.

The good thing is most new ones on the market can be mounted in any position. My father-n-law has his mounted on the top of his center counsel for the reason you mention. I have seen others mount them on top of the dash or in a dash cubby.

Here is where I get all the stuff for my trailer business. They are the best.

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals

Chris

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #7  
Honestly, I have used about every trailer controller type (not model mind you) that has been available since the mid '70s. Of all of those, I only found ONE type that I honestly feel did a "very good job" and that was one that sensed brake pressure in the towing vehicle's system (front system I think it was). You got EXACTLY the amount of trailer braking you needed, every time without any lock-ups. I don't even think they make them any longer, but I know how to do it with currently available parts :)

The prodegy controllers are good and I think they do a fine job, the deceleration sensing ones are good for dry roads but really don't get the job done on wet or slick roads from my experience but they don't skid the tires during bad conditions either and that can really be bad if it happens.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #8  
I need to pick your brains about brake controllers. I am in the process of buying a 18', 7K tandem axle trailer-haven't decided on brand yet, but I will be buying in the next couple of weeks. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra. I have been towing a single axle trailer for years, so I am all set with a hitch, etc., but did not use brakes with the 3K trailer.

Whatever I buy, it will have electric brakes on both axles. My truck came with the wiring harness for a controller when I bought it. I would like to have a brake controller that does not have to be fixed under my dash- I still remember banging my knee on the brake controller getting in and out of my dad's pickup. Are there any models that can be easily removed and re-attached whenever I use the trailer?

Any recommended brands or models? Any other advice? I don't mind spending a few bucks for an quality model. I don't want to have to choose from the possibly limited choices at whatever dealership I buy from, and I will be having a close friend who is a factory mechanic install the controller.

Thanks,
Will
Tekonsha Prodigy here...you don't need anyone to hook it up for you...they can supply the proper harness for your truck...just plugs in on both ends. No wiring necessary.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #9  
Of all of those, I only found ONE type that I honestly feel did a "very good job" and that was one that sensed brake pressure in the towing vehicle's system (front system I think it was). You got EXACTLY the amount of trailer braking you needed, every time without any lock-ups. I don't even think they make them any longer...
Yes, they do, MaxBrake. Click Here. No need to cobble one up from spare parts.:D

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #10  
Are the new controllers good enough to forgo the MaxBrake or is the MaxBrake still the best way to go? I'm in the market for a new controller.
I have 2 trailer shops in my area and both won't sell anything but the old fashioned type. They argue the proportionals won't give you the stopping power when you need it. Seems to me it should be the opposite. I hate setting my controller for freeway speeds and then getting jerked out of my seat first stop in town.