Brake Rotors. Resurface or New?

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #1  

TomSeller

Tractor
JD, Massey, Kubota, Case
One thing I won't work on is brakes on anything going on the road. My wife's car rear squeakers were going off and I took the car into our local garage. I got a call today saying the price for new rotors, pads, etc would be $380. I told the mechanic that this is the first brake job on the car and asked why he didn't resurface the rotors. He said he has had too many problems with heat buildup due to not enough material left on the rotor and that they rarely resurface anymore. Is this what everyone is seeing?

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #2  
It's not what I'm seeing. I ALWAYS do my own brakes. They're just too easy, really. If all they were doing is squealing from the warning tabs then there should be plenty of rotor left for turning. Most times I do my own resurfacing as well and there are videos on Youtube to show how it's done. Yeah, if they're too far gone Autozone has new ones for $29-$69 depending on the make/model.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #3  
One thing I won't work on is brakes on anything going on the road. My wife's car rear squeakers were going off and I took the car into our local garage. I got a call today saying the price for new rotors, pads, etc would be $380. I told the mechanic that this is the first brake job on the car and asked why he didn't resurface the rotors. He said he has had too many problems with heat buildup due to not enough material left on the rotor and that they rarely resurface anymore. Is this what everyone is seeing?

The Chinese suppliers have taken the rational out of resurfacing rotors.

Can you set up and machine a part like that for $30? I can't. even if I do it for my own vehicles. It takes longer to run in to town to buy rotors than it takes me to clean them up.

But I have had rotors "collapse", where the flat face literally bellied into the supporting ribs of a ventilated rotor.
That would be unacceptable for someone else's vehicle.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #4  
The Chinese suppliers have taken the rational out of resurfacing rotors.

Can you set up and machine a part like that for $30? I can't. even if I do it for my own vehicles. It takes longer to run in to town to buy rotors than it takes me to clean them up.

But I have had rotors "collapse", where the flat face literally bellied into the supporting ribs of a ventilated rotor.
That would be unacceptable for someone else's vehicle.
That's true. But should we really be blaming the Chinese? And to the point, $380 is about the going rate for a brake job. I just enjoy doing mine and knowing that every little part is back in the right place. I also like to see how the brakes are wearing. Rear rotors on some cars are a pain because there are different (sometimes not so ingenious) methods employed to allow them to be mechanically engaged by the emergency brake. But for $380, yes, he'll have nice, new, Chinese rotors.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #5  
In the push for higher economy standards, they're lessening the weight of the tires and rotors and other rotating parts. More they weigh, more power it takes to rotate them. They have pretty well balanced them out to the peaks of performance, lifespan, safety, and now also economy standards.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #6  
Garages don't resurface rotors anymore, and haven't for probably 20 years. Their liability is too great, and customers will come back and complain about pulsing brake pedal, (warped rotors), etc., etc.
Brake jobs are expensive, but their are the first line of defense when one needs to stop, and they better work right when you need them.
It cost what it costs, parts, overhead, liability insurance, ASE certified mechanics, etc. I know, I owned and ran a shop.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #7  
Agreed--economics and liability of resurfacing a 'throwaway' item. If you have OEM the original is as thin and light as tolerable to begin. You can find aftermarket with some meat on them. Then you run into $50-$100/hour for the time, to keep your used rotors.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #8  

Yes. Add the current dynamic of rotor prices vs. shop rates and cutting rotors makes no sense, at least in this area.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #9  
I work in a Toyota Dealership. We resurface brake rotors all the time. We do them on the car with a special rotor cutter.
What happens a lot the rotors warp and cause the brakes to pulsate. By cutting them on the car the rotor now match's the rotor mounting plate and you have no chance of rotor pulsate.
I do agree that you can buy rotors and pads aftermarket for less than a dealer. Then do it your self. It's not a hard job but you do need the right tools.
Remember to put a anti-squeal pad or past on the back of the pad. 99% of all brake squeal is cause by the brake pad back rubbing on the brake bracket. You will see the shiny marks on the brake holder when you take it apart.
Like all jobs if you don't feel comfortable have a pro do the work for you.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #10  
I get new, replacement, rotors from Rock Auto and save the old ones for ballast, tool bases, temporary tarp weights, etc. I select a high performance rotor & pad set from their extensive line of part makes & grades; not the cheapest priced ones. They seem to last quite a bit longer than the OEM ones do. Years ago, I had rotors turned maybe 4 or 5 times and in 3 or 4 of those cases, after 5 - 10k miles those rotors warped. So no more turned rotors for me.

This is also my time with the car to check out the hoses, shocks/struts and other stuff you can't see when the brakes & wheels are all assembled. This is also a great time to I bleed the brakes & get fresh fluid in the cylinders & lines.

When I get the old rotors off, I give all the steel & iron in the wheel well, including the calipers, a good wash down and a light (hand) wire brushing to remove any loose rust. Then I give everything a coat or two of phosphatizing paint. Seems to really slow down the rust activity in the wheel well area.