Brake Rotors. Resurface or New?

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #51  
I liked the brake "pun". :)

I'll go talk to the parts store. They claim to be giving me a military discount which usually shows up on the ticket. But if they are retailing everything first, the discount wouldn't mean much. You've got my curiosity up now. Thanks.

Auto parts store pricing is a *****'s game, doesn't matter which chain we talk about. "List price" is a magical number paid by very few. It does make a "convenient" starting point for broad category discounts.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #52  
Wasn't aware of the tool borrowing setup. makes sense. sorry i misinterpreted.
I have one being delivered tomorrow from amazon.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #53  
What makes the copper anti seize better than the normal silver/gray bottle/tube?

I have just always used the normal anti-seize.

Looking at the Permatex site, it seems that it is only available in the 8oz bottles or larger
I prefer paying more for the smaller tubes, that way I can keep several of them around, easier to find and with the limited amount I use I have thrown away old 8oz bottles in the past.

I am a huge believer in anti-seize and try to talk anyone who will listen into using it (most don't), living in the rust belt I have spent way too much time fighting rusted up parts.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #54  
According to one company that makes them, they all have the same benefit.

The different compounds, (there are many), are designed to work better in certain applications.

Don't loose a lot of sleep over which one you use, If you are not doing aerospace work.

http://www.antiseize.com/pdf/how-to-choose-an-antiseize.pdf

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #55  
My regular drivers all have the original rotors and drums... 85 G20 Van, 91 Silverado and 2002 BMW 325iT

I did have to replace rear wheel cylinders in both trucks and only use OEM brake pads...

No snow here so this could be a major factor in longevity?

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #56  
got the rotors changed tonight and new brakes on. One was really stuck on there good. Next project is to replace a catalyst in order to pass emissions.

/ Brake Rotors. Resurface or New? #57  
Just to add to the conversation; F-450 needed brakes, this was its first new set.

I took it down to Les Schwabs, and they ordered the wrong parts. Said the King Ranch has upgraded rotors and calipers, the only parts they got right were the pads. They knocked a few dollars off the top for the front brakes and it was $575 for new everything. On the rear the following week, they machined the rotors and put new pads on for $185.

Interesting to note, on the front brakes, because they ordered the wrong stuff, they had to goto the local Ford dealership to get the rotors and calipers, and they told me they paid top dollar for them and lost money on the deal. But honored the original price.

I was pleasantly surprised by them machining the rotors on the rear, I was already prepared for new everything, but they said they were in great shape. Now, I wonder if thats true, or they didn't have the parts in again?! :-/

~Moses