Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers
Stay away from powder coated trailers.

Well, thanks, but without telling me why it is a useless advise!

Outside of the national brands like PJ and Big Tex, other brands are very regionalized, for example, Lamar, no dealers near Michigan. All of the brands I've reviewed and available at dealers around me brag about their Sherwin-Williams power coating. It doesn't look like I have a choice.

Anyway just a few thoughts, I'm sure you had considered them. Best of luck, Rye.

Thank you very much for the reply, you definitly brought to the table items I had not considered.

I'm not worried about folks wanting to borrow my trailer, I have a "do not lend policy" and the only exception is my oldest son. If I go with the gooseneck he will have to also borrow my truck since his Duramax isn't equipped with a gooseneck hitch. The bumper-pull worries me a bit, my Class V is rated for a gross trailer weight of 14,500 with a maximum tongue weight of 2,200 pounds. The gross trailer weight (14K) is close to the 14,500 hitch rating. The goose neck solution solves this worry but, Michigan is primarily a bumper-pull state and trying to find a 16 foot dump in gosseneck is difficult. None of the dealers I have talked with is willing to order one trailer. Seems they are better than half way through their selling season and have ample yard stock.

I'm going to be visiting three dealers today, if a dump comes home with me today, pictures tomorrow. I do appreciate all the advice, so thanks.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #12  
I can't tell you what brand but feature, function, price, warranty, location is always important...

What I can suggest would be good items to look for:

Power down hydraulics
Dual cylinder or scissor lift
Inside bed D-Rings
Heavy gauge floor
LED lights
Tailgate in the configuration you'll be using

What I ended up getting was very local to me. Right at the max my F150 is rated for.

Griffin Dump
6x12
Empty Weight 3580
Dexter Axles: 6000 lb x2 = 12K GVWR
Hydraulics: 4" (2), power down
10ga Floor
Gate: Spreader/Barn
Ramps
LED lights
D-Rings (5)

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #13  
Midsotamfg.com
These are nice. Lots of options. In Michigan.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #14  
My experience with 25 years of trailers is powder coat is a chip leads to rust which leads to it coming off in sheets. That leads to a full disassembly, sand blast, and paint.

I prefer enamel that is easily repaired with a rattle can of Rust Olem Paint.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #15  
I'm still a big fan of the B-wise trailers, really nice fit and finish. They have a 16ft low pro that I would love to have, they are powder coated but not all powder coat is created equal.
They are properly prepped and primed, I've seen one that was used by a contractor and pretty beat and the finish was wearing better then painted, no pealing etc. just worn like enamel.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #16  
I had a 12ft 14k PJ dump for 10 yrs with powder coat that was in great shape when I sold it. This 1 yr old PJ I now have is a mess. PJ ill not answer my inquires, which leaves me to believe, that don't care.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #17  
I had a 12ft 14k PJ dump for 10 yrs with powder coat that was in great shape when I sold it. This 1 yr old PJ I now have is a mess. PJ ill not answer my inquires, which leaves me to believe, that don't care.

Were you in CA the whole time? I think most of the people with issues with powder coating are the guys in the northern states that have to deal with salted roads and rust

Brett

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #18  
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've been happy with my Load Trail 5x10 7K dump trailer.
--

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #19  
Were you in CA the whole time? I think most of the people with issues with powder coating are the guys in the northern states that have to deal with salted roads and rust

Brett

Yep. I don't leave these mountains much. The new PJ, is just not the same. I'm sure the cleaning/treatment prior to powder coating was insufficient.
I kind of knew this trailer would be a dud. Stickers were all crooked, axles/hardware/brake housings were rusted when I picked it up. If it hadn't been a special build, I would have picked another. I tried contacting PJ by phone/email/and mail. No response. I warn everyone every chance I get. When I bought my equipment hauler I went with Diamond C.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #20  
I bought an Iron Bull after looking at othwra for years. I found it to be the most stout construction and best execution / finishing touches and small stuff..,