Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #21  
We ran John Deere, Patz, New Hollond, New Idea and possibly other brands of PTO driven spreaders but this was 30 - 60+ years ago so things have changed. The hydraulic tail gate is nice for wet sloppy loads.

Some companies now make front side discharge but I think these are the bigger sizes. Nice feature there is you keep weight on the draw bar while unloading vs rear unload where you take weight off the draw bar while unloading. This can cause problems if unloading in slippery conditions.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #22  
I’m going against everyone here. I’m very particular with my manure and can’t wait til I can get another one. Absolutely hate out the back leaves clumps limits your spread pattern. The only thing good about the one I have is it is an old NH 5 speed. The best spreader are the Kuhn Knights side slinger. Come to find out they no longer offer the smaller ones.

This was the size I was thinking of.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #23  
Here is a link with a few spreaders for sale;
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/search?Category=1152&sort=6

For spreading hay pack manure using a rear discharge spreader you will be better served with a triple beater unit, the single beater will throw out too many large clumps.
I prefer the side discharge spreaders but most of them will be larger then you want I'd expect.
Years ago they had flail spreaders they did a very good job of spreading.
This video has one he starts spreading about 4 min. in.
Not many of this type around any more.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #24  
We used to run New Holland flails for mixing potting soil. Did a great job. Didn't want to be the guy sitting on the tractor if a flail weight came free though ! Ended up covering the ROPS with expanded metal - safety first !

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #25  
I just assumed that if you bought something from a dealer somewhere else, you could get parts and service for it where you live. Or if you moved. But if I have to buy it someplace closer, that's OK too. So far I haven't been able to get the New Holland dealer locator to work.
I know there is a NH dealer in Crockett.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts
I sent the NH dealer in Athens a message asking for a price on the manure spreader, but I think their smallest spreader is bigger then what I'm looking for.

ABI replied to my request for a price by telling me that they will call me to tell me the price. I don't like that, it seems easy enough to just put the price in the email.

Millcreek replied quickly with a price for a small 37 square foot spreader when I asked for the price on their 109 and 140 square foot spreaders. Price for the 37 deluxe square foot spreader is $6,900 including shipping. I'll probably responds and ask again for the price on what I'm interested in. But their reply seems a bit wacky to me.

Conestoga had the best email. Price is $11,566 for their biggest spreader, the 175. Shipping is extra and they can use a Hot Shot, which he said is expensive, but fast, or ship through a freight company if I have a way to unload it at my place. If I go with them, I'm gonna ask about them shipping it to the freight company and me picking it up at their yard. I've done that before with a much lower price.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #27  
1704398579188.png

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #28  
You're right - there's not much used out there. You might have top just stop at farms with idle/parked equipment and ask. Too bad this isn't closer.

1704399543297.png

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts
Thanks for the link. I've been looking at them on FB, Craigslist and TractorHouse, with mixed results. Probably the best deal on used is a New Idea spreader about 20 miles from me, but it's been sitting out in the weather for quite awhile and there's no telling how much work it will need to keep it going.

Ranch Tractor is a little over 100 miles from me and they seem to have the biggest selection, but they also look like projects that I don't have time to mess with.

I've probably watched too many YouTube videos on people repairing them to want to do that myself. When it's time to spread poo, all I want to do is spread poo!!!

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #30  
Rear discharge Manure spreader is a pretty simple piece of equipment. Biggest problem was usually the apron chain wearing - stretching and coming off a sprocket. Second is corrosiveness of manure so steel sides, floor, etc rust. I think newer spreaders have reduced the amount of steel exposed to manure.

What tractor(s) would you be pulling this with?