Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #41  
Speed kills 😛

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts
Rocks are very rare and valuable here. In the 20 years that I've owned this land, and the tens of thousands of trees that I've dug up, and two ponds totally over 5 acres of digging, these are the only rocks that I've found here. I used all of them to build my waterfall in for my pool.

287161889_5507961095894153_6552264034919654424_n.jpg

After several phone calls that I ignored from ABI, and another email from them telling me to answer the phone when they called, I sent an email back to them that I wasn't happy with them being able to send emails but couldn't send prices when I was able to get prices from Conestoga and Millcreek. I guess that worked because I got prices in the latest email.

"Here are some ballpark pricing with guestimated shipping including on the larger spreaders to get you started.

185cu Manure Spreader (PTO/Hydraulic) around $19,000

125cu Manure Spreader (PTO) around $14,500

85cu Manure Spreader (PTO) around $13,000"

This puts them on the higher end of the other brands. I still have to pay taxes and insurance this month, so nothing is happening right away. But I'm in the hunt and hopefully will make a decision sometime soon.

The more I turn the pile, the nicer it gets. So far, it's just horses and goats. The cows wont be here until I finish fencing in my pasture. I'm only doing 24 acres to get them here, then I'll start working on fencing off the entire 68 acres later on. The more cows I have, the more manure I'll have to deal with!!!

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #44  
Boy…. And I wasn’t sure if I paid too much when I bought mine about 10 years ago for $1500.

repairs so far…..I had to reinstall the drive chain once and replaced a section of ribbon chain in feeder assembly. Parts are readily accessible and fairly easy to do.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts
I might reconsider buying used. I really like the idea of buying new, but for something that I will only use twice a year, I might be wasting money that could be used for other things.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #46  
If you are thinking used, and you want to upgrade your manure spreader, I would recommend a floor/sides of UHMWPE, aka UHMW. The stuff is durable as all get out and slick. You make a V-groove partially through sheet from the top, and then fold, using the half or so that you didn't cut as the hinge. It is used a lot on dump trucks.

I have seen others do it; we used it to line some cattle feeders to ensure the hay and the fine leaves all made it to the cows. It has been great.

All the best,

Peter

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #47  
Given the cost of new and infrequency of use, it would be nice if you could rent one from a neighbor until you can find a good deal. Just make sure you don't load any large/hard chunks.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #49  
The new ones with the poly floors and sides are much better. I always liked the ACGO spreaders myself. Not a worry an more as I sold off all the livestock some years ago.

One thing about forecart spreaders and horses is, the horses apply NEW fertilizer as the pull the OLD fertilizer....

Are those designed so you can shovel from the horse stall to the spreader, then let it sit until full? That might be very nice for horses.

"Here are some ballpark pricing with guestimated shipping including on the larger spreaders to get you started.

185cu Manure Spreader (PTO/Hydraulic) around $19,000
125cu Manure Spreader (PTO) around $14,500
85cu Manure Spreader (PTO) around $13,000"

WOW!!!!

I think it might be time to hunt for an old wheel driven spreader.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #50  
There was a reason everyone switched from wheel drive to pto.