Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts
I'm thinking that I would use my 70hp, cab 4x4 Massey Ferguson 4707 to pull the spreader, and my 80hp 2WD New Holland 555E loader backhoe to fill it up. The New Holland is open cab and and with a one yard bucket.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #32  
Hay pack manure is a royal pain to load and or spread. A smooth bucket pushes it around a lot and makes large clumps, then the spreader tends to toss it out in large pieces. The manure around your hay feeders may be better handling if just piled up to compost for a couple of years before spreading.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #34  
Only pansies spread manure in the safety of a cab. ;)

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #35  
I'm thinking that I would use my 70hp, cab 4x4 Massey Ferguson 4707 to pull the spreader, and my 80hp 2WD New Holland 555E loader backhoe to fill it up. The New Holland is open cab and and with a one yard bucket.
Be careful with glass cab and manure spreader. Ive been hit in head by rocks that got mixed with manure. Started wearing helmet.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #36  
Be careful with glass cab and manure spreader. Ive been hit in head by rocks that got mixed with manure. Started wearing helmet.
My wife and the barn girls like to put rocks in the manure pile....

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #37  
Hay pack manure is a royal pain to load and or spread. A smooth bucket pushes it around a lot and makes large clumps, then the spreader tends to toss it out in large pieces. The manure around your hay feeders may be better handling if just piled up to compost for a couple of years before spreading.
And those packed clumps take a lot of power at the beaters to spread especially if you have a grapple style manure bucket on your loader.

On a good day loading up hill two grapple loads filled the spreader where normal manure was 6 or 7 scoops.

We always tilled everything so clumps were not a problem. If Eddy is planning on spreading on hay field then would be a big problem.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #38  
I bought an H&S manure spreader new about twenty years ago, and I've been happy with it. All I've ever done to it is grease and oil things. When I was looking, I thought their prices and the quality was good.

I *think* it has helped that I spread my manure pile once a year. So the spreader mostly just sits in the barn. After I'm done spreading, I get out the pressure washer and clean it off for another year of sitting in the barn.

/ Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #39  
I (drssg)
I do too.

I was being a smart alec. That said, we wood sided and floored New Idea manure spreaders, and they worked great. We would occasionally put used motor oil on the sides and floor as a kind of preservative.

Last edited:
   / Brand New Manure Spreader thoughts #40  
I remember using one on the farm when I was much younger, still in high school. It was an old wooden box pull behind, wheel driven, no name spreader.
It worked quite well, spread manure all over, including on me, always ending up smelling like, well, manure!