Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-((

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-((
Is it possible the HST gear may be slightly in between selections? I've just noticed my tractor doing strange things with starting like you described, and this is after the brakes have been adjusted.

I'll watch this thread for sure.

That is what I am wondering too. The dealer is coming out personally to check things over and adjust as necessary. I will keep y'all updated.

Well, it was the HST pedals. Apparently the safety switch was stuck there. So the dealer is going to adjust it at the 50 hour. Great service by RCO. They came all the way out to my place.

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-(( #13  
Well, it was the HST pedals. Apparently the safety switch was stuck there. So the dealer is going to adjust it at the 50 hour. Great service by RCO. They came all the way out to my place.

Just seeing this thread....Sorry for the glitch, Danisiri! Glad Stuart was able to get out there quickly and check it out. I know they're really busy with the Hunt Co Fair right now... feel free to call us in Austin if you ever need anything and can't reach them in Greenville!!

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-(( #14  
RCO Tractor is a standup dealer. I drove past numerous other "Big Brand" dealers to get an LS specifically from them.

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-(( #15  

Sounds like a great dealer. Glad they figured it out for you.

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-(( #16  
RCO Tractor is a standup dealer. I drove past numerous other "Big Brand" dealers to get an LS specifically from them.

Me too!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Well....thought the problem was solved, but nope. Still doesn't start about fifty percent of the time. I found the HST pedal switch and adjusted so it puts more pressure on the switch when the pedals are neutral. That didn't seem to do anything.

I am still unable to start the tractor without being in the seat (not something I would normally do but trying to see what is possible). The tractor engine will cut out if I lift myself off the seat, even when in neutral and with the parking brake on/PTO off. I am thinking maybe there is something going on with the seat safety switch.

I am not sure if I can wait for the fifty hour service to figure this one out, lol. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of just jumping the HSt pedal switch and the seat switch to see if I can get a consist start on the tractor.

/ Brand New XR4040H doesn't start :-(( #18  
Well....thought the problem was solved, but nope. Still doesn't start about fifty percent of the time. I found the HST pedal switch and adjusted so it puts more pressure on the switch when the pedals are neutral. That didn't seem to do anything.

I am still unable to start the tractor without being in the seat (not something I would normally do but trying to see what is possible). The tractor engine will cut out if I lift myself off the seat, even when in neutral and with the parking brake on/PTO off. I am thinking maybe there is something going on with the seat safety switch.

I am not sure if I can wait for the fifty hour service to figure this one out, lol. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of just jumping the HSt pedal switch and the seat switch to see if I can get a consist start on the tractor.

Based on the symptoms you describe I think you have a faulty or out of adjustment HST switch. If you are parked with the brake on (range position makes no difference at this point) you should be able to get off the seat. Since it stalls when you get off the seat it is the HST switch. The HST switch THINKS the tractor is moving and shuts the tractor off when you get off the seat. If possible check the continuity across the HST neutral switch. When the pedals are in neutral position the switch plunger is retracted (fully depressed) closing the contacts. If your switch shows no continuity the safety start system will not work. You can check continuity by disconnecting the plug which is close to the switch and use the ohm meter on the terminals. If it turns out the switch is bad install a temporary jumper in the harness side until the switch can be replaced.

Last edited:
Based on the symptoms you describe I think you have a faulty or out of adjustment HST switch. If you are parked with the brake on (range position makes no difference at this point) you should be able to get off the seat. Since it stalls when you get off the seat it is the HST switch. The HST switch THINKS the tractor is moving and shuts the tractor off when you get off the seat. If possible check the continuity across the HST neutral switch. When the pedals are in neutral position the switch plunger is retracted (fully depressed) closing the contacts. If your switch shows no continuity the safety start system will not work. You can check continuity by disconnecting the plug which is close to the switch and use the ohm meter on the terminals. If it turns out the switch is bad install a temporary jumper in the harness side until the switch can be replaced.

Hmmm......I will try that out. Gotta dig out my voltmeter.

To update everyone:

RCO picked up the tractor and determined that yes, the HST pedal switch was faulty. They said it was the first they have seen that ever failed. LS sent a replacement quickly. RCO got it installed and delivered back to me. Great service!