Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #1  

cpocobb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
My 3510i starter works fine when my Tractor is cool, but after it heats up it acts like the clutch/starter safety switch is almost but not quite engaged. The starter seems to kind of sputter. It might start, and it might not. Any thoughts/solutions?

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #2  
My 3510i starter works fine when my Tractor is cool, but after it heats up it acts like the clutch/starter safety switch is almost but not quite engaged. The starter seems to kind of sputter. It might start, and it might not. Any thoughts/solutions?
Had your battery tested lately? If so move on to all the connections between the battery and starter (both + & -) and ensure that they are clean (on the inside where the current flows) and tight. Next, clean off at least one of the starter's mounting bolts and the surface of the starter where it touches for a good electrical connection as tractor chassis is where a lot of batteries ground and the starter gets it's ground through it's housing to the tractor chassis.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #3  
Mark, thanks for being you.

You are one of the main pillars of the community and many benefit often from your help.

:thumbsup:

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot
Had your battery tested lately? If so move on to all the connections between the battery and starter (both + & -) and ensure that they are clean (on the inside where the current flows) and tight. Next, clean off at least one of the starter's mounting bolts and the surface of the starter where it touches for a good electrical connection as tractor chassis is where a lot of batteries ground and the starter gets it's ground through it's housing to the tractor chassis.

I replaced the battery a few months ago and cleaned all the ground connections to the chassis as well. The starter spins normally when the Tractor is cold, with no indications of a battery problem. This only happens when it痴 hot. I値l clean all the connections at the starter and see if it helps. Thanks!

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #5  
It could be the starter brushes or the commutator may need turning and under cutting.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #6  
Mark, thanks for being you.

You are one of the main pillars of the community and many benefit often from your help.

:thumbsup:

Thank you sir. My philosophy is that if you understand that a skyscraper is built one brick at a time and each brick has a purpose (all figure of speech) then knowing what isn't working and which brick is responsible for that function, helps to get you headed in the right direction.

My pet peeve is when somebody says "don't do this or don't do that" with no explanation as to why so that I can make up my own mind as to whether or not it applies to my circumstance. So...I try to explain things of which I know.....or think I know. Grin.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #7  
It could be the starter brushes or the commutator may need turning and under cutting.

Could be the problem. Glazed brushes, weak springs due to the shortened length of the brush allowing the spring to expand into it's max length/minimum pressure area. Resistance in the wire is highly temperature sensitive and there are a lot of turns of wire in a starter. That and worn bushes/glazed comutatior can add up when the wire is hot and high in resistance.

No big deal to pull the starter and have a look at the brushes. A picture or two would be nice.....one of the brush so we can see the length and wear pattern and a second of the surface of the commutator where the brush rides.

While you are in there ensure that the Bendix runs freely up and down the armature shaft....cleaning and oiling wouldn't hurt.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #8  

What year is your tractor? This would be relevant data for guessing at the problem.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #9  
What year is your tractor? This would be relevant data for guessing at the problem.

Depends.....all kinds of variables in ownership/usage methods....I just bought a 30 year old, shed kept, single owner, Ford 3910 with 900 original hours and the original starter. A guy/PO who does a lot of frequent on-off operations on a regular basis that maybe leaves his equipment out in the weather and all would be something different.

/ Branson 3510i starter quits working when hot #10  
I don't have relevant tractor experience with this... but this happened to my '77 VW bus when we were on a trip once in the 90s and whacking the starter with the handle of a screwdriver got it to behave long enough that we got home o_O

In our case, the starter motor was turning (electric motor sound), but the starter wasn't engaging the flywheel; the starter solenoid was going, and apparently getting a hit was helping it do its job.