Branson 4820 problems

/ Branson 4820 problems #21  
One important tip about the PTO. The PTO lever has 3 positions, 540E - Neutral - 540. On these tractors, there is a spring actuated brake when the PTO is OFF.

This means that when you're trying to connect a PTO implement, like a brush cutter, you won't be able rotate the PTO shaft on the tractor by hand to help align the splines. So all you need to do is flip that PTO lever to Neutral and the shaft will then spin freely, which is an huge help to connect the implements.

/ Branson 4820 problems #22  
Another point about the PTO. On the PTO switch, you'll have 3 positions as well. Auto - OFF - Independent.

In the independent mode, the PTO will always spin.

In Auto mode, the PTO will cut off automatically once you fully raised the 3 pt. And then turn back on, once you lower the 3 pt. It will also cut off if you press the clutch on the Shuttle shift models, not on the HST ones.

Personally, I avoid using the Auto mode with high inertia implements, like a brush cutter or a flail mower. The reason is that every time it cuts off the PTO, the spring brake inside has to stop all that inertia still moving, which puts a lot of wear on the PTO brake. For low inertia implements, like a rototiller, post hole digger, etc, it works awesome and I use it all the time.

/ Branson 4820 problems #23  
Op,

Sounds like you got it sorted out.

For my own uses, I only use the 540E setting when I'm mowing light brush and grass, like this one:

20200808_113917.jpg

For heavy and thick mowing, I'm only using the "standard setting" 540:

20220724_150802.jpg

This wasn't just 8 feet tall, it was also very thick growth, I couldn't see the ground, or even 1 foot in front of the bucket. You can't use the "E" setting here.

This was all done with a 6 foot cutter on 32 PTO hp.

Normally I'm burning less than 1 gallon per hour (37 engine hp), but for the *very* heavy stuff, it does go up to almost 2 gallons per hour.

/ Branson 4820 problems
One important tip about the PTO. The PTO lever has 3 positions, 540E - Neutral - 540. On these tractors, there is a spring actuated brake when the PTO is OFF.

This means that when you're trying to connect a PTO implement, like a brush cutter, you won't be able rotate the PTO shaft on the tractor by hand to help align the splines. So all you need to do is flip that PTO lever to Neutral and the shaft will then spin freely, which is an huge help to connect the implements.
All good information. Learning something each time. Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems
Op,

Sounds like you got it sorted out.

For my own uses, I only use the 540E setting when I'm mowing light brush and grass, like this one:

View attachment 763600

For heavy and thick mowing, I'm only using the "standard setting" 540:

View attachment 763601

This wasn't just 8 feet tall, it was also very thick growth, I couldn't see the ground, or even 1 foot in front of the bucket. You can't use the "E" setting here.

This was all done with a 6 foot cutter on 32 PTO hp.

Normally I'm burning less than 1 gallon per hour (37 engine hp), but for the *very* heavy stuff, it does go up to almost 2 gallons per hour.
I just thought I was mowing thick stuff. Wow! Good feedback. Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems
All good information. Learning something each time. Thanks.
Another point about the PTO. On the PTO switch, you'll have 3 positions as well. Auto - OFF - Independent.

In Auto mode, the PTO will cut off automatically once you fully raised the 3 pt. And then turn back on, once you lower the 3 pt. It will also cut off if you press the clutch on the Shuttle shift models, not on the HST ones.

Personally, I avoid using the Auto mode with high inertia implements, like a brush cutter or a flail mower. The reason is that every time it cuts off the PTO, the spring brake inside has to stop all that inertia still moving, which puts a lot of wear on the PTO brake. For low inertia implements, like a rototiller, post hole digger, etc, it works awesome and I use it all the time.
I will be printing some of these posts out for future reference. You guys make a big difference. Thanks

/ Branson 4820 problems

Mine is a HST, but good to know. Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems

Did not know this. Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems
The E in 540E means "Eco". Basically you achieve the 540 RPMs at the PTO with less engine RPM, typically around 1800 RPM. It will use a lot less fuel as well. Compared to the regular 540, where the engine has to be at around 2500 RPM.

It's mostly used on light to medium duty work, like mowing mostly grass, not too tall. Or if you don't mind going a bit slower, it can do some heavy work as well.

I run most of PTO implements in 540E. I get about 8 to 9 hours on a full tank in 540 or 12 to 13 hours on a full tank in 540E.
Very good to know. The manual was skimpy on info such as this. Big help! Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems #30  

I use an ORC on all our tractors to make life easy on the internal PTO brake.