bread bowl (wooden)

/ bread bowl (wooden) #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I was working on a bread bowl or trencher for a while now. But I was not having success in a few areas. I was struggling with having the form follow its function. I was just not understanding how it was all supposed to go together. So I went and did an image search and found a lot of bowls. I sketched a top and side view and then cut it out of paper, I did this a few times and found a size that I liked.
This first picture shows the first bowl that I made wrong too high sides too steep, also I got a bit too close to an edge with a 24 grit sanding wheel.
bowl015.jpg

bowl016.jpg

So I cut a log in half its aspen, aka popples The Quaking Aspen
I didn稚 want to start with cherry because I had the aspen and if I mess up again I want it to be with the aspen.

After I cut it (its still green and bark on) I drew out my template and cut the center and sides with my chain saw
bowl002-1.jpg

(I am making two)

Once the center was cut I used an Adz to chip out the inside.
bowl003.jpg

Once chipped out I use a 24 grit flap wheel (it fits in my 4鋳 angle grinder, wear gloves I sanded a nice chunk of hand off a month ago when working on the other bowl)
I spend a lot of time inside working the shape of the bowl and the slope along with getting rid of adz and chainsaw marks. I also go around the outside of the bowl just to clean up the sides a bit.
bowl005.jpg

bowl004.jpg

Next I reuse my side template to show where the handle will be and then get into some ax work (I use a bruks carving ax, it痴 a great ax!!!) the handle is defined and the bottom cleaned up.
bowl009.jpg

bowl010.jpg

Then its back to one more turn with the flap wheel to clean up the marks
bowl013.jpg

and then I take the saw dust from cutting it in half fill the bowl and put it in a dark cool place (barn) to slowly dry so it doesn稚 crack.
bowl014.jpg

This is how far I am. I have to sand and sand and sand and then wipe with mineral oil.

/ bread bowl (wooden) #2  
Jeez...you have put a LOT of work into that one project...at one time I thought about buying woodworking tools and building items from scratch but would never have the patience to finish any of them. How long will it take that chunk of wood to fully dry so you can finish it?

/ bread bowl (wooden) #3  
forgeblast - Very nice....I bet they will come out great...I did not see anything wrong with the first one...don't throw it away...I have made wooden spoons and wooden spatulas but never tried a bowl...keep the pics coming.

/ bread bowl (wooden)
Thanks Brin, I will be posting some pics of my spoons soon (today If I get the pics uploaded). The light coming through the side is where I got too close to the outside edge with the sanding wheel when i dropped it after taking a chunk out of my hand.