Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or?

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #1  

DerpDerp

Tractor
Kioti NX5510
Hello, Looking for some advice here. On our property we have a few buildings and a gravel parking lot / driveway. Over the years it has gotten more muddy / soily and the top layer is alot of gravel fines now. Over the years it has gotten worse to where there is alot more grass then there used to be. When I was clearing snow this past winter I dug in a bit too deep in a couple spots and I could see there is nice rock just underneath everything (see 4th picture). I ended up finding one of those old ariel photo paintings that were popular back in the day of our property, and I can see the parking lot and driveway was all stone (see last picture). So it appears all the stone is still there, just a bit buried / overgrown.

What Id like to do, if possible, is bring the stone back up to the top. I've tried to research this and it seems like a land plane or box blade with scarifiers would do this...I think.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would my idea work? Any tips or tricks?
What implement would be the best to do this? I was looking at a 7ft woods land plane with the scarifiers for this.

I did get a quote to get it all redone with gravel but it was really expensive since its a large area so I am looking for more affordable alternatives.

Attachments

• DSCN8108.JPG
    DSCN8108.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 186
  • DSCN8109.JPG
    DSCN8109.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 163
  • DSCN8110.JPG
    DSCN8110.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 178
  • DSCN8111.JPG
    DSCN8111.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 170
  • DSCN8115.JPG
    DSCN8115.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 195
   / Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #2  
I will be watching..... I have a similar if not the same situation. I have tried the box blade with the scarifiers down to break up / bring up the rock from below.....
Way too messy..... the big ballast rock also came up, so ended up with everything sized from 4-5" rocks down to the fines. Thankfully, I only did a small area. Had to hand pick all those big rocks out (anything bigger than 1"), then I put some 3/4" minus roadbase back over it to fix it.

I can see some of the larger rocks right at the surface, so not much of the smaller stuff to allow 'grading' it back. I believe that without major heavy equipment (grader, dozer, compactor), and "redoing" the entire drive, my drive and parking area will require 100's of tons of new gravel ($$$$) to top it all.

There has to be a way, but I think in my case, just not going to be an easy fix.
In your case, I would try a land plane, especially if it has scarifiers. If not, then break it up loosely for the top few inches using a box blade, then use the land plane for final grading. This is assuming that you have both.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #3  
DerpDerp,

Based on my past experience with both land planes and box blades and looking at your pics, neither the land plane or the box blade are going to move the large rock to the top and the fines to the bottom. Your looking at a digging and screening operation where the larger rock is sorted out and redeposited onto the top of the fines.

I will be interested in how other commenters address this but I think you're buying a new load of rock.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #4  
I wonder how well a power rake would work for that?

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #5  
Think about a road grader. It can dig up the gravel, mix it well and then lay it back down. The operator will be able to separate the larger rock and lay it in the bottom.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #6  
I wonder how well a power rake would work for that?
I run a 6 foot power rake ( Harley rake ) and I wouldn't attempt to dig out a sunk base of stone and try to set the bypass curtain so just the fines went over the top of the rake and kept the stone inside the rake between the side curtains for the following reasons:
1 Power rake, even carbide tipped like mine, are not meant for continuous abuse digging up lots of stone. When ground is really rocky the rake starts bouncing around even with 830 Lbs of rake weight.
2 The volume between the wings is limited and would soon fill up with stone. Where do you move the stone to until to are ready to spread it back out over the fines?

Too much time effort and abuse on equipment.

Attachments

• Power Rake.jpg
    Power Rake.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 124
   / Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #7  
I disagree with some of the above comments - I think a nice heavy land plane (with rippers) will work pretty well for you. First with rippers down, break it all up, and you'll get an idea what the sub-surface material composition is like. Then with rippers up, normal land plane operation to smooth it out.

The principal is really the same as all of us with gravel driveways - we get the exact same issue over time. My land plane (even with rippers up) does in fact pop a lot of stones up to the surface, then lays them all down in a nice flat layer.

It's not like you can just flip a switch and get clean stones on the top and all the fines and organic material magically buried underneath. Unless you want to go nuts with removing, screening and relaying all of it like M59 mentioned, the best you are going to get is to mix everything up and pop stones upwards. It will look dirty until you get a couple rains and some traffic on it. But soon it will all look like nice stone on top again.

I like to do this on my driveway when the ground is really soggy, as it makes the ripping and stone popping go way easier, as opposed to the land place bouncing around atop hardpack stones. But then it sometimes looks like I've mixed mud into my stones, until it rains and washes it off.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #8  
I have both. Box blade is better for gouging and mixing the material. Land plane is better for the final few passes. I have scarifiers on both of them. If it's real hard packed, I start with the land plane scarifiers (implement is heavier), then switch to box blade, do my rough grading and mixing, and add a crown, then swap back over to the land plane with scarifiers lifted to get final grade.

Now, every implement has its limits, and the tractor won't do what a grader or dozer will do. But for gravel driveways with rock up to 3-4", I've had good luck with those two tools.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or?
Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely some mixed opinions but I appreciate it...I would rather have a good handle on if this is possible or not. I do not have a land plane or box blade yet but I have priced out a 7ft land plane with scarifiers. Its not cheap but if this will work its well worth the cost of buying it vs. having it all redone.

But I was thinking after reading some of your replies, would it help if I were to try to skim off the grassy top layer I have in spots with the bucket before trying to rip it up with the scarifiers? I figured it couldn't hurt to get rid of as much soil/sod as possible.

Deezler - So doing this with the ground a bit wet works better from your experience?

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #10  
Roughly where are you located? If it's near SW, Virginia, you can borrow my box blade...