Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Trying to get the Hydro oil filter off.
I am hoping to avoid pounding a hole through the thing because it'll be messy.
I've crushed the can with one tool A band wrench just slips. A chain wrench slips. Can't get my big pipe wrench on it; no room to maneuver.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #2  
My first fluid change on my DK4510 was similar. Broke a new strap wrench, a different on slipped. Finally went and got a pair of Channellock filter pliers and that was that.
1648327799575.png

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #3  
The chain wrench slips?
On one of my impossible filters I used a somewhat blunt air chisel right on the base. That filter had those wrench slots built into it.
Good luck, they can be a challenge!

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #4  
That sucks. Some people don't know that you don't have to tighten a filter with a wrench. Heat seals it up.

Been there, done that. It's a PIA.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches
This is a Factory one. Prolly put on with a pneumatic tool with the torque set too high. I'll be lucky if the thing wasn't cross-threaded on.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #6  
That sucks. Some people don't know that you don't have to tighten a filter with a wrench. Heat seals it up.

Been there, done that. It's a PIA.
Another problem is that many manufacturers don't put oil or lube on the filter gasket during assembly. First filter change is always the worst.

Last edited:
   / Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #7  
My first fluid change on my DK4510 was similar. Broke a new strap wrench, a different on slipped. Finally went and got a pair of Channellock filter pliers and that was that.
View attachment 739146
Those work well. They are messy because the typically punch holes in the filter, but they usually can get the filter loose.

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #8  
I know the feeling....sounds like we all do. I've got a drawer full of oil filter wrenches now. Including a set of cannister sockets, a gearwrench, and a 3 jaw. Back when I was doing mechanics for a living I only had on a strap wrench. What changed? I have no idea.

But here's a hint for when you do get it off...... On my kubota, the HST and Hydraulic filters fit onto central stubs that look suspiciously like pipe nipples. Sure enough, one was finger tight so I unscrewed it. Simply a standard pipe nipple threaded on each end. One end was threaded into the transmission housing and the filter was screwed onto the other end. I put it back in with a plumbers wrench and some serious Loctite. .
Suggest you check to make sure yours aren't loose after you win this wrestling match.
rScotty

/ Broke 2 Oil filter wrenches #9  
This is a Factory one. Prolly put on with a pneumatic tool with the torque set too high. I'll be lucky if the thing wasn't cross-threaded on.
Actually, not. The filters are installed prior to final chassis paint and the painted filter locks it on. Real common. I never bother with a filter wrench, put a pan under the filter, take a long handled alignment punch, drive it through the body and lever it off. Been doing it that way on every new tractor I've purchased for years now. Once you change it, the next one will come off easily. The paint is holding it on, nothing else.