Brokedown in a bad spot

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Well, just a story. So the wife took the tractor out into the back 40 and a line ruptured. Usually not a big deal, I have some spares that I can plug in to limp back home. Not so lucky this time. It wasn't that I didn't have the hose, it was I could not find the break. On top of it I have been negligent in my maintenance and have not power washed out the tub since this spring, so it was full of mud and pine needles and whatever. And whatever hose was broken had effected the brake lines so I could not tow the machine back (and that sucked the most) So much so that I spent the day just digging it out, then I had to lug a pressure washer to the location, and then run every garden hose that I had and that our neighbors had. After a day of cleaning I found out that it was the brake hose (and of course, the hose at the very bottom of the pile). It honestly took me a bit over an hour to replace that hose and another, but it took me a day and half just to find the darn thing. Putting pressure washing tub on my every 6 month maintenance list from now on.

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #2  
I hate that you had to do this. Good of you for sharing though. You may have just saved one of us a whole day. Thanks, will check the cleanliness of my machine tomorrow.

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #3  
Murphy strikes again! (Why is it ALWAYS the one on the bottom? Probably for the same reason the flat is always on the inside dual...)

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #4  
I've had a couple "unfortunate incidents" on the far side of my 80. Stuck in the spring time mud. Had to walk all the way back to my tool shed to get the hand come along and dual prong boat anchor. Boat anchor because there is not a winch point within half a mile.

Learned to use the boat anchor when we lived in Alaska. You can "lasso" half an acre of muskeg with your winch line and it still won't pull you out.

Find hard ground - sink the anchor's flukes into this ground. Attach the winch line, or in my case, the hook on the hand operated come along to the anchor. Start winching. It can be a long, hard task - but it WILL get you unstuck. As the winch line tightens - the boat anchor will slowly bury itself and provide the necessary winch point. I have an eight foot "tag line" attached to the anchor. When you are finally unstuck - drive directly over the anchor. Attach the "tag line" to the draw bar and pull the anchor out of the ground.

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #7  
Once had the main hydraulic return line on my B7800 pop off from running over some brush. A downfall of an HST: dead in the water. About 1/4 mile from the house. Shortest path out from where it was at the time was obstructed by some tree trunks. Came back with saws and cut out a path and then pulled back to the house with my truck: wife was steering the tractor. Not far from that point, and several years later, I broke a tie rod on the same tractor; got it back to the house by driving it in reverse :D

oosik, I'd always meant to get an anchor. Got better at not getting stuck and never got around to getting one.

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #8  
Just fortunate here. Never had to use the boat anchor when the ground was frozen hard. In AK - winter 4WD activities were always with 4WD club. Other vehicles to winch to. Wasn't a good "Jeep run" unless some got stuck.

Top 'O the World 4WD club - Anchorage, AK. Those were some very exciting days. Went to places that have long since been closed down. The club is now defunct but still have life-long friends. Spread all over the world.

Those were the days when a replacement Jeep part didn't cost an arm & leg. Most everybody did their own wrenching, too.

/ Brokedown in a bad spot #9