Broken but is it broken?

/ Broken but is it broken? #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I was pushing some trees on the ground, one rolled and a limb came up and something went pop.
I see a fluid mist coming off the engine, still running. I shut it down and investigated.

The injection pump has hard lines going to the injectors and soft rubber lines going back to a hard line that attaches to the pump. The hard line back to the pump has a tee with plastic line going to the intake manifold. That is where to broke. The fluid was fuel.

What is it?
What does it do?
Does it need to be replaced?
Can I plug the ends?
I do not know anything about fuel injection.

Last edited:
   / Broken but is it broken? #3  
Sounds like the injector return line. Just need a new T boot and it should be good.

/ Broken but is it broken?
Sounds like the injector return line. Just need a new T boot and it should be good.

The injector return line returns to the pump, does it not?
This is in the return line but tee's from the return line and goes to the intake manifold.
The fitting into the manifold broke and the line at the fitting broke.

Everyone is like me and clueless.
This could be a chance for someone to show off their knowledge.

/ Broken but is it broken? #6  
Everyone is like me and clueless.
This could be a chance for someone to show off their knowledge.

Knowledge? :laughing: not from me, but in these situations, I would just fix it back the way it was. It does not sound that involved.

Knowledge? :laughing: not from me, but in these situations, I would just fix it back the way it was. It does not sound that involved.

That was my first thought.
But, I can't find the parts on any parts diagram.
And the one part that is listed on a diagram that these parts attach too is the Special tee, $113. That scares me, what about the broken missing parts that are missing from the diagram.

I am guessing that it has something to do with putting a mist of fuel in the intake. Maybe cold weather starting. I am planning on calling a Case dealer, they usually have some IH parts catalogs. If I can't find anything later next week I am going to try plugging it and see how it starts and runs.

I hope some of the guys here who worked on diesels back in the 80's have an idea.

/ Broken but is it broken? #9  
Is it the tee thats broke, or just the line/line fittings? If its just the line and fittings, I would think you could find some really cheap at any tractor/farm store.