Broken wire spool

/ Broken wire spool #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I'm assuming that this is garbage (ie more now than it was previously).

I knew it was cracked when I installed it but I couldn't remember where I had bought it; used about 2# of it before it came apart like this and stopped feeding.

Bought a 2# spool to replace it and was quite surprised to find that the 2# requires and adapter to use on my machine (miller 130) - I'd think that such a small machine would've come with it, maybe the original owner lost it before I got it. I rigged something up to fit and it feeds just fine. PXL_20210213_002459263.jpeg

/ Broken wire spool #2  
My Hobart is setup so if I don't use large spool adapter (10#) I can use a 2# spool directly.... You might want look in owners manual to see if there is a special adapter for 2# spools.... Being its a Miller I'm sure if you have a copy of manual it will list the adapters and pretty sure "parts" may still be available...

Dale

/ Broken wire spool
The manual mentions (no part number) using two bushings for 1# spools; tomorrow I'll measure my 2# spool and see it the hole matches those in the first pic. I found the bushings at $13 for a pair cheapest, it's a ridiculous price for two small pieces of plastic... I'm currently using some random piece of plastic I found that fit in the spool at a decent offset...

I also found this other "spool adapter" from miller (2nd pic). I suspect it may have something to do with a gun spool instead?
Screenshot_20210212-221343.jpegScreenshot_20210212-221255.jpeg

/ Broken wire spool #4  
I think the spool adapters came with both of my machines. I have the large spools on both of them. That wire spool would drive me crazy. I can throw things away with no issue but for some reason something like that makes me crazy.

/ Broken wire spool
I think the spool adapters came with both of my machines. I have the large spools on both of them. That wire spool would drive me crazy. I can throw things away with no issue but for some reason something like that makes me crazy.
Something about throwing away 80% of what should be useful but in its form can't be used.

/ Broken wire spool #6  
I would probably waste a lot of time making that usable, knowing the whole time I should just throw it away.

/ Broken wire spool
I would probably waste a lot of time making that usable, knowing the whole time I should just throw it away.
Haha yep! I untangled and got it moving a couple times but then realized that every time it for stuck my welds stopped and while a pro would say "i can't tell them difference between his welds with or without it stopping" I knew that it was compromising my already sorry welds and the spool was pulling apart more so it was time to let it go.

Looking at the spool adapters in the 130 manual (mine) vs 135, it looks like the 130 didn't come with anything for a 2#, and those bushings are the "answer", though I suspect that black adapter would also work, but my 10# spool adapter won't work with it (the 135 uses something that just fits over it). I'll probably get the bushings at some point.

/ Broken wire spool #8  
Haha yep! I untangled and got it moving a couple times but then realized that every time it for stuck my welds stopped and while a pro would say "i can't tell them difference between his welds with or without it stopping" I knew that it was compromising my already sorry welds and the spool was pulling apart more so it was time to let it go.

how about transferring it to another spool, maybe an adapter on a portable drill and on slow speed?

/ Broken wire spool #9  
Wire spools just don't body slam very well. You could painstakingly re-spool it with many snags every 3rd rotation. May be worth it maybe not. It's all about the old time vs money saying.