Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #71  
I am still researching a MIG. So far, I am sticking with the "name brands" that I know: Lincoln, Hobart (Miller) and Everlast. What I **think** I want is a 110/220 capable machine and
- can use large spools (8")
- capable using flux core in addition to (argon+co2) with wire
- do NOT need stick or TIG capability (already have a Miller stick)
- 10' leads would be nice

So far, considering a Hobart 140, Lincoln 140 (or maybe Lincoln Handy Mig k2185-1?) and Everlast 200ES. Checked a larger Miller / Lincolns locally, the next sizes up almost 2x prices. As mentioned, the Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are sold local, so any "options"/ parts... would be available.

Honestly, I am somewhat frozen by all the specs and features. I'd really like some opinions. This machine is mainly for Hobby use. Thin gauge tubing / thinnish rebar (wire, maybe up to 1/2"). So, trying to stick with a name brand, one that is easy to load spools, adjust and as trouble free as possible.
Perhaps, the ones I mentioned are all about equivalent? But I would appreciate advice from "experts" before buying and having regrets. :)
Is your stick welder DC capable?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #72  
Previous posters have touched on all the specs and such so I will skip that.
I have Miller machines. The son in law was ready for his first mig and asked many of the same question as the OP.
He thought he wanted a 110 capable machine until I showed him what he was currently working on versus what the capacity of the machine was. Also explained that a baby machine will eventually cause buyer remorse when he needs to weld something with decent thickness and that day will certainly come.

Miller was out of the budget so we went chinese shopping.
After much looking and YT college we meaning he settled on an Everlast dual voltage machine.
He settled on this one. Cyclone 212 | Everlast Generators

Things he learned along the journey.
1: Anything takes practice to get quality welds including MIG. Color me shocked..not. :cool:
He is a couple of hours away so the only beginning advice I gave him was to listen to the buzz versus what he was laying down.
2: Straight wire with gas is great, especially indoors. Outdoors with wind the fluxcore wins. Machine will do both.
3: The more you weld the more you find that you need the strongest machine you can afford.
4: Machine also does stick which there will come a day that he finds that useful.
5: Machine will actually do aluminum with a bit of trickery. He is experimenting with it. No feedback yet.
For what it is worth the above YT channel has a lot of basic how to vids that seem legit.

Other:
Eyesight.
As we get older this becomes an issue. What I learned after becoming frustrated and wondering where my talent went.
1: The clip in magnifiers don't work, at least for me. Some various readers from walmart work better.
2: Seriously, Get your eyes checked.
Seeing flares around lights at night? Yup. In my case it was cataracts which everyone gets to some extent or another. In my case the left eye was getting to the point it was like looking through gauze. That causes major, major depth perception issues.
Had both eyes done. Piece of cake by the way. You will need dark sunglasses for a while.
Like night and day difference. Halleluiah. They claimed I had 20/20 again. I told them that was a maybe.
I felt like I might have my 30 yr old eyes back which was great but it certainly wasn't my 20 year old eyes.
Either way I didn't need readers for several years. It's that time again so I will get them checked again. May actually break down and get some prescription glasses. Will see it that lazik thing is a possiblity.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #73  
Another vote for Miller 211. Been a great multipurpose, easy to use welder anyone can use.

Improved (heavier) the grounding lead and clamp from day one. M15 (15’) lead. Reliable for 15 years and 100’s # of wire.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ?
I have Miller machines. The son in law was ready for his first mig and asked many of the same question as the OP.
He thought he wanted a 110 capable machine until I showed him what he was currently working on versus what the capacity of the machine was. Also explained that a baby machine will eventually cause buyer remorse when he needs to weld something with decent thickness and that day will certainly come.

After much looking and YT college we meaning he settled on an Everlast dual voltage machine.

1: Anything takes practice to get quality welds including MIG. Color me shocked..not. :cool:
He is a couple of hours away so the only beginning advice I gave him was to listen to the buzz versus what he was laying down.
2: Straight wire with gas is great, especially indoors. Outdoors with wind the fluxcore wins. Machine will do both.
3: The more you weld the more you find that you need the strongest machine you can afford.
4: Machine also does stick which there will come a day that he finds that useful.
5: Machine will actually do aluminum with a bit of trickery. He is experimenting with it. No feedback yet.
For what it is worth the above YT channel has a lot of basic how to vids that seem legit.

Other:
Eyesight.
As we get older this becomes an issue. What I learned after becoming frustrated and wondering where my talent went.
1: The clip in magnifiers don't work, at least for me. Some various readers from walmart work better.
Seeing flares around lights at night? Yup. In my case it was cataracts which everyone gets to some extent or another. In my case the left eye was getting to the point it was like looking through gauze. That causes major, major depth perception issues.
Had both eyes done. Piece of cake by the way. You will need dark sunglasses for a while.
Like night and day difference. Halleluiah. They claimed I had 20/20 again. I told them that was a maybe.
I felt like I might have my 30 yr old eyes back which was great but it certainly wasn't my 20 year old eyes.
Either way I didn't need readers for several years. It's that time again so I will get them checked again. May actually break down and get some prescription glasses. Will see it that lazik thing is a possiblity.
The Cyclone is on my list of possible machines. Thanks.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #76  
Look at the Fronius TransSteel 2200. Multi process, multi voltage, very good duty cycles. 150 AMP on 220 is 100%. See other duty cycles below.

Can put 4 and 8" spools on it.

I never welded before I purchased mine. So far have just used the synergic modes. I only do aluminum, and that's why I purchased it. It has 13ft lead, no spool gun needed. Does all your steel wires and such, has a ton of synergic modes as well as manual settings.

They do seem a bit pricier than other brands, and I have no experience with other welders, but I'm very happy with it. Very nice welder, quiet, fan on demand, easy to use.

Downsides, you likely won't find a local retailer selling consumables... but honestly, I don't have any other brands close, and everything is online anyways.

Does not have AC tig (for aluminum), but can do DC tig.

TransSteel 2200 - duty cycle. I would be very frustrated if I had a welder where I hit the duty cycle a lot. I do mostly 1/8" walled tubing... so I never hit it.

Portability is great, bakersgas has/had a video demonstraing how they used it on 300ft of extension cord on a 110v circuit. I mostly just use mine on a 220v 50 amp oven outlet. Though, I have welded with it on a 110... your only limitation is how high you can go with your amps.
1672925346955.png

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #77  
Anything that runs hardwire that isn’t spraying I wouldn’t touch for running over 5/16’s personally. That said I’d look into anything that’s a minimum of 200 amps so you can at least run dual shield flux core in 035 it’s a nice compromise wire that can do a lot.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

Other:
Eyesight.
Had my eyes checked. I do have some sight issues, but not really bad. Aside from using my stick on thin wall, I have trouble adjusting the correct distance as the stick burns down. Definitely a lack of practice, however. I do not see the pool really well from a full sick distance, so when I begin, my hand is usually above my head.This makes it very difficult for me to control.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #79  
I bought this Miller 120/240v machine in 2014. This is the smoothest welding machine I have ever used. I use argon shielding gas for the best quality welds. The flux core wire does not make as nice of a weld as you get using argon for shielding. Will weld 3/8" steel.

Bart

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614​

Code: 907614
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set 907614
Cyberweld Price $1,935.00
Mfg Industrial Price: $2,451.00
(You Save $516.00)

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #80  
Had my eyes checked. I do have some sight issues, but not really bad. Aside from using my stick on thin wall, I have trouble adjusting the correct distance as the stick burns down. Definitely a lack of practice, however. I do not see the pool really well from a full sick distance, so when I begin, my hand is usually above my head.This makes it very difficult for me to control.
If you use reading glasses at all, add a cheater lens to your helmet, you could also try using a halogen worklight shining on the work for startup positioning. also try a lower shade of lens. If you are using a 12 or 11 for stick maybe drop down to a 10 see if it helps. I do a lot of light sheet metal panel work, and often stitch up to 5 feet of weld in one pass . Seeing clearly is critical to consistency and quality. I have a 2.0 magnifier so I don't have to shove my face into the work, ( it's more comfortable) and actually use a very fast reacting helmet with a 9 shade when doing this. You can see if any of these help. I'm late 50's with a retinal scar in one eye from a metal fragment that went unnoticed for a few weeks in my 20's. But my overall vision is pretty good, I do have prescription readers so I don't have to read books at arms length though.

Last edited: