Brought 57 cub home today

/ Brought 57 cub home today #21  
Do the 8 volt batteries keep their charge ok with the tractor’s 6 volt generators ? This Cub has good compression and it starts very easily on 6 volts, as does my 1951 Ford 8n. That tractor only has 1200 hours on it. The Cub don’t have an hour meter on it, but judging by the wear (or lack thereof), I’d guess it’s hours are less than 500.

I think some folks do 12 volt conversions, after their engines get worn and loose compression. I’ve jump started my 8n a few times with 12 volts, and it really does spin it fast. I imagine an 8 volt would be somewhere in between. I wonder if an 8 volt battery would last as long as a new 6 volt however. The one I have now is about 4 years old, and I think the previous one lasted more than 10 years.
They charged just fine on the 6v systems. I even had a 8v in my 53 Ford truck that lasted for years with no issues. I don’t have any 6v systems anymore but if I did I would do 8v battery again no question.

/ Brought 57 cub home today
They charged just fine on the 6v systems. I even had a 8v in my 53 Ford truck that lasted for years with no issues. I don’t have any 6v systems anymore but if I did I would do 8v battery again no question.
I’ll look for an 8 volt one and compare cost to a 6, if they have both. I’ll probably go with whichever one costs less. I imagine I’m going to get sick of sharing one battery between two tractors pretty soon.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #23  
I’m not sure how the factory “high-low” beam switch works, because it only seems to effect the two new headlights, and not the rear work light. That seems to be equally bright at both settings. I wonder if it cuts the amperage flow in half or something like that.
Don't they work like the old sealed beam headlights for cars, switching a different filament on for high beam?

Don't they work like the old sealed beam headlights for cars, switching a different filament on for high beam?
Maybe that’s how they work. I ordered some black flex-seal tape, to cover up the big holes, that I had to cut in the back of the fixtures to fit the $ 7 six volt bulbs. That is supposed to get here tomorrow.

I’ve got a 17 year old, but never used, 6 volt battery on a charger now. I topped it off with distilled water (it took about a quart) Tomorrow, I’m going to try that on my Ford 8n. If it don’t crank it over, then I’m going to have to take my only good 6 volt battery out of the Cub, so that I can start my spring plowing with the 8n. It was showing 5 volts with my multimeter, after a couple hours on the charger yesterday. After (7) more hours charging at 8 amps tonight, I’m going to give it a try.

I hope that old battery will work. I hate sharing one between two tractors, and I really don’t want to buy another new one.

The 17 year old battery cranked the old Ford tractor over for a while, but not long enough or fast enough to start it. I drove the Cub over to it and did my first ever 6 volt on 6 volt jump start.

In the past, I’ve always jump started my 6 volt tractors with a 12 volt battery, while the “jumper” vehicle was not running. That gives me closer to or below 12 volts than I’d get if the vehicle is running and its alternator was supplying 14 volts.
8EC9971B-A86A-41F9-A3A3-3592A96715E1.jpeg

I reworked the new toolbox frame a little, welding it and painting it. I also made a wood outer liner for it, so that the Rubbermaid box can be removed and replaced as needed.

02E5DF6E-C1E6-461D-9418-68086737436F.jpeg

30077E93-D29B-4600-9B0A-38AB0859A627.jpeg

Now the Cub is ready for some light firewood making duty.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #27  
Brings back memories of my first tractor, a 50's-something Cub that looks very close to yours. The rear tires were not AG, but rather someone mounted some Tractor-Trailer tires and custom fitted chains. Front tires were simple ribbed tires.

It had a a plow blade fixed on the front and the hydraulic reservoir had been braised once due to a crack. Lots of pressure on that little arm that moves up and down! I was always impressed with what that rig could do. The 12 HP engine had was an incredible amount of power due to its gear ratios. I hauled 25' white pines on the 2 point bar and a set of chains. Nothing could stop it.

Wish I still had it...

Brings back memories of my first tractor, a 50's-something Cub that looks very close to yours. The rear tires were not AG, but rather someone mounted some Tractor-Trailer tires and custom fitted chains. Front tires were simple ribbed tires.

It had a a plow blade fixed on the front and the hydraulic reservoir had been braised once due to a crack. Lots of pressure on that little arm that moves up and down! I was always impressed with what that rig could do. The 12 HP engine had was an incredible amount of power due to its gear ratios. I hauled 25' white pines on the 2 point bar and a set of chains. Nothing could stop it.

Wish I still had it...
This is my second Cub. I didn’t have very good luck with my first one, but it was pretty well worn out when I got it. This one is in much better shape, and likely has less than 500 hours on it.

What I missed most about my old Cub, was snow plowing. This one came with a snowplow that looks like it was hardly used. I didn’t get it running in time to plow last winter, but I am really looking forward to next winter and plowing with it.

I also like the fact that it fits in the 8 ft bed of my 3/4 ton pickup, so I don’t need to drive it on the road or trailer it back and forth to my parents place, about 20 miles away.

I’ll be hauling it over there later this summer, and will probably leave it there thru the fall. It will be nice for making firewood over there, and doing a little tillage and seeding work on some deer food plots. It will also be nice to have a tractor over there, with lights that work, for getting deer carcasses out of the woods.

The lights don’t work on my dad’s atv, and I had to gut the last few deer, that I killed over there on late-afternoon hunts, as my mom was holding a flashlight.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #29  
They don't make Moms now like they used to!

I really have not had much “real” work to do with the Cub yet, but I needed it again today to jump start my Ford 8n. The sound of that “6 on 6” volt jump start is much more pleasing to the ears (and undoubtably easier on the tractor’s electrical components), than the screetchy “12 on 6” volt jump starts that I did a few times in the past.

The 17 year old 6 volt battery, that I “resurrected” for the 8n, had been working ok. Today, I was using that old Ford with its 3-point carryall, to move firewood from an outside pile to a new woodshed that I recently completed.

The Old Ford is charging good, but the woodpile is too close to the woodshed. 1 minute of engine operation was not enough to sufficiently charge the battery and on about my 20th start this morning, she wouldn’t crank. The Cub had to come to the rescue.

After that jump, I left the 8n running while loading the carryall, at a bit higher rpm, and only turned it off when I backed up to the woodshed to unload. I had to turn it off there, because the approach grade was steep and there’s no parking break on the old Ford. Turning the engine off and leaving it in gear was the only option. It did start ok on about the last (3) loads however.

The wood is all moved now and I’m in the house for lunch. It will be interesting to see if the old Ford fires up on its own after lunch, as I’m getting ready to resume my spring plowing with it. After a few hours of that, the charge of the 17 year old, 6 volt battery ought to be topped off very well.
0421606B-EA26-496E-8AD2-082B3CC4CEFE.jpeg

60BBFD38-B20B-4063-B120-7FA7D18F3765.jpeg
It