Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
There are threads on this topic, think I've read them all. Not sure I can get enough umpf from my tractor to make this work. But would like to do this for trimming around ponds. And yes familiar with Lane Shark...almost bought one....but with it's 44" cut, it does not quite reach out as far as I need to trim the pond right. I'd still have to resort to a hand trimmer, and gotten just to old for that. SO working through thoughts of converting a 5ft old Howse brush hog for this purpose. I would run it somewhat offset from the FEL not unlike the Lane Shark setup.

My tractor is an M7040. Pump flow is 11gpm pressure 2770psi. Could I run this brush hog with this motor...it's the only one I see at surplus center that has output in the 540rpm range. 9.59 cu in PTO Drive Motor | Dynamic | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

I currently use a batwing, but the issue with it...have so many places that mower will not fit....PLUS...mowing continuously looking backwards to monitor being so close to the pond, really gets me down in the back.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #2  
SurplusCenter has some great calculators Surplus Center

No expert here, but it looks like that pump might work. You would have to get the pressure in your system down to the 2200PSI continuous rating of the pump and at that point it looks like it would make around 21hp. I think thats on the low end of a 60" cutter requirements, but if its just cutting light material, I'd think you'd be okay.

EDIT: Looking at it again, I don't know if you have a high enough flow rate to get there. You might be a little shy of 20hp

Hook this PUMP up to your PTO with a reservoir and some lines and you'll have more than enough power!

Last edited:
   / Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #3  
Looks like it falls short of a sustained 540 RPM. Mower would not cut as clean as if it were on the PTO.

First thought that comes to my mind with this drive would be to mount on a PTO auger with a directional valve. Slower RPMs would not matter for that and you could reverse to back out of a hole if stuck.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL
Looks like it falls short of a sustained 540 RPM. Mower would not cut as clean as if it were on the PTO.

First thought that comes to my mind with this drive would be to mount on a PTO auger with a directional valve. Slower RPMs would not matter for that and you could reverse to back out of a hole if stuck.

Not sure what you're referencing too....I'm talking of putting this on a mower, not a post hole digger.

One issue I'm not fully understanding.....I ran some numbers through the various surplus calculators. There is another pump whose displacement is about 1/2 of the one I first referenced...this one. 4.95 cu in PTO Drive Motor | Low Speed High Torque Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

It's speed is 800rpm....but that is dependent on the gpm/pressure/etc. Using my hydraulic specs with this pump seems to make the number at around 500rpm...which is what I want. The torque is lower though.

I first picked the pump I first reference because it matched the 540rpm of my pto, but should or can I use a different criteria for picking a pump? Is there any pump surplus has that would work?, given my tractor's specs?

I read some of the answers to questions people ask at surplus center, and the answers generally shreds the question to bits. To me that means a lot of guys don't understand these different specs and how they interact...me included.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #5  
There are threads on this topic, think I've read them all. Not sure I can get enough umpf from my tractor to make this work. But would like to do this for trimming around ponds. And yes familiar with Lane Shark...almost bought one....but with it's 44" cut, it does not quite reach out as far as I need to trim the pond right. I'd still have to resort to a hand trimmer, and gotten just to old for that. SO working through thoughts of converting a 5ft old Howse brush hog for this purpose. I would run it somewhat offset from the FEL not unlike the Lane Shark setup.

My tractor is an M7040. Pump flow is 11gpm pressure 2770psi. Could I run this brush hog with this motor...it's the only one I see at surplus center that has output in the 540rpm range. 9.59 cu in PTO Drive Motor | Dynamic | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

I currently use a batwing, but the issue with it...have so many places that mower will not fit....PLUS...mowing continuously looking backwards to monitor being so close to the pond, really gets me down in the back.

I have a M7040 so some of my comments come from experience.
My WSM shows max hydraulic flow of 10.18 gpm. And that flow is partially used for the 3 pt hitch and FEL.
Looking at the spec's of the 9.59 cu in motor, it needs 19.7 gpm for continuous use so on the best day possible you have 1/2 of the flow required and not even that if you touch the 3 pt hitch or FEL.

You have an open center hydraulic system and some owners trying to run hydraulic motors such as a seeder or a brush saw, have been frustrated when they move the FEL or 3 pt and the motor momentarily stops as the open center system is really not the best for driving motors along with other hydraulic circuits

My suggestion is to power the Howse with its own gas engine.

You can add pto driven hydraulic power to your tractor. Landpride, now owned by Kubota make a unit. Very expensive.
O8VvlhV.jpg

HRS3 Series Hydraulic Reservoir Systems | Land Pride

If you study the Landpride system you will note the oil cooler. If you are taking full hydraulic flow from your M7040, I expect you will start overheating the oil.

Dave M7040

I have a M7040 so some of my comments come from experience.
My WSM shows max hydraulic flow of 10.18 gpm. And that flow is partially used for the 3 pt hitch and FEL.
Looking at the spec's of the 9.59 cu in motor, it needs 19.7 gpm for continuous use so on the best day possible you have 1/2 of the flow required and not even that if you touch the 3 pt hitch or FEL.

You have an open center hydraulic system and some owners trying to run hydraulic motors such as a seeder or a brush saw, have been frustrated when they move the FEL or 3 pt and the motor momentarily stops as the open center system is really not the best for driving motors along with other hydraulic circuits

My suggestion is to power the Howse with its own gas engine.

You can add pto driven hydraulic power to your tractor. Landpride, now owned by Kubota make a unit. Very expensive.
O8VvlhV.jpg

HRS3 Series Hydraulic Reservoir Systems | Land Pride

If you study the Landpride system you will note the oil cooler. If you are taking full hydraulic flow from your M7040, I expect you will start overheating the oil.

Dave M7040

Yes I see that. Need a different machine with different hydraulics to accomplish what I want I guess.

What kind of gas motor would be needed to drive the mower?

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #7  
HP = PSI * GPM / 1714

2770 * 11 /1714 = 17.8 HP

That's what your tractor is capable to supplying from the hydraulic system.

11 GPM * 231 = 2541 cubic inches per minute flow rate. 2541/540 RPM = 4.7 cubic inches for motor displacement.

In order to deliver the full 18 HP, calculate the torque needed from the motor: 5252*18/540 = 175 lb ft.

As Dave said, any time you move the loader or three point the mower would slow down or stop.

As far as a gas engine, probably at least 20 HP. Usually rated horsepower is at 3600 RPM, so you'd need a 6.6:1 reduction (belts, gears, or a combination) to drive your 540 RPM mower gearbox, and a clutch to disengage the blade.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #8  
If you will never need a high flow attachment like a forestry mulcher, consider building a smaller lower flow version of the PTO driven Land Pride unit that Dave posted.

Our 7' brush hog rarely reaches the bypass pressure. When it does I slow down or stop and let it speed up again.

Note the cushion valve built in to the motor and 3/4" hoses:

P4060003.JPG

P3310015.JPG

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #9  
I did not read each post word by word but have the M6800 and the hyd system will not support that mower, period. Think you need a pump that will supply at least 150% of what the mower's motor calls for. You would need pump which can be pto model, tank, control valves, relief valve, hoses and some minor items.

Do a further internet search and find the flail mower that will move to right and will cut standing maybe totally vertical. Think you will have less money and an nice tidy implement you will enjoy.

Something like this: Ditch Flail Mower (Embankment) 57", BCRL-57A from Victory Tractor Implements | eBay

I did not read each post word by word but have the M6800 and the hyd system will not support that mower, period. Think you need a pump that will supply at least 150% of what the mower's motor calls for. You would need pump which can be pto model, tank, control valves, relief valve, hoses and some minor items.

Do a further internet search and find the flail mower that will move to right and will cut standing maybe totally vertical. Think you will have less money and an nice tidy implement you will enjoy.

Something like this: Ditch Flail Mower (Embankment) 57", BCRL-57A from Victory Tractor Implements | eBay

Yes, have been studying 'ditch' mowers. A smaller ditch mower would be better than the batwing, because of maneuvering capabilities. And would solve the problem of fitting in places the batwing simply won't. BUT it won't solve the twist I do in watching the rear mower when next to the pond. It is a problem with getting me down in the back.

A came across another post where the person used a pump similar to this and drove a mower with a tractor similar to mine. 9.76 cu in 21.2 GPM 54 RPM Dynamic GP-PTO-A-9-6-S Hydraulic PTO Pump | PTO Pumps | Hydraulic Pumps | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com. If I bought this pto pump, you guys feel my project is doable?

SO...with that pto pump, maybe, but the $$$$ creep is building up. Also I would setup the mower so it function similar to the lane shark....so it could trim limbs etc and that which I most certainly could use that way. I would also make it hydraulic controllable so the mower can go vertical to dipping down below plane, since I already have a 3rd function for grapple and can be used with tilting the mower.

An issue I still do not understand.....to get more GPM wouldn't you need to up the pressure? If you up the pressure....these hydraulic motors are limited to 2000 as an example, but need a high gpm...how do you get high GPM without the pressure? Can you regulate ....to a degree....the pto speed a hydraulic motor will put out by altering how much pressure to allow it to get?