Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #11  
Have you looked at a true boom mower that bolts to the tractor. Mid mount. It will be in front of you so no turning to view, it will have it's own hyd system. It is built for that type of work. New expensive but there are used and maybe a lightweight for smaller land owner.

I would really check out mounting a mower offset on fel frame. Those frames are built to have basically a balance load. From what I understand most of the weight and the pushing would be done by one side over both sides. Now your fel may be way strong enough for this.

As to seeing what the mower is doing mirrors and cameras may take care of that for you.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #12  
An issue I still do not understand.....to get more GPM wouldn't you need to up the pressure? If you up the pressure....these hydraulic motors are limited to 2000 as an example, but need a high gpm...how do you get high GPM without the pressure? Can you regulate ....to a degree....the pto speed a hydraulic motor will put out by altering how much pressure to allow it to get?

A pump simply creates flow. The larger the pump displacement, the more flow it generatea at a particular RPM. Pressure comes from resistance to flow.

You add a relief valve to limit the maximum pressure in the system. If you have a pump rated at 3000 psi for example, but the hoses and motor are only rated for 2500, you'd set the relief valve to 2500.

That's the theory at least, there's also pressure spikes, heat, oil aeration, filtration, oil viscosity, and other things that engineers consider when designing a system.

You would want a cushioning valve at the motor, which is a type of relief valve that protects your hoses and valve as inertia of the mower blade spins down when turned off, or you stall the mower.

Oil running over a relief valve heats up quick, so consider that when designing a system.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #13  
What if you just got a big 9' sickle bar mower, get as close to the pond as you can and never look back? Mirrors sound like a good option too.

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL
Had one. Kept braking it with grass clumps, crawdad mounds. Once It even snapped the bar holding the blades when it ran into a HUGE snake that was coiled up in heavy grass.
What if you just got a big 9' sickle bar mower, get as close to the pond as you can and never look back? Mirrors sound like a good option too.

Last edited:
   / Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #15  
Had one. Kept braking it with grass clumps, crawdad mounds. Once It even snapped the bar holding the blades when it ran into a HUGE snake that was coiled up in heavy grass.

I've used and broken a few too, but mowing around the lake was the only time I seemed to be marginally successful.

Those mid-mount boom mowers seem like a good answer, but I can't imagine they go on and off too easily.

Now I have this for the front of my PT. Haven't used it yet....
20180610_214301.jpg

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL
Well you got the machine to drive it too. Yes a boom mower would be fantastic...but too many dollars considering the task at hand. And bet they are, ask you said, a son of a gun to get attached.
I've used and broken a few too, but mowing around the lake was the only time I seemed to be marginally successful.

Those mid-mount boom mowers seem like a good answer, but I can't imagine they go on and off too easily.

Now I have this for the front of my PT. Haven't used it yet....
View attachment 564788

/ Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #17  
Something like this one should work 6.9 cu in White WR Hydraulic Motor 255115A1113AAAAA | Low Speed High Torque Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com with a cushion valve for spin down. Go to surplus center, find the price you like and plug it in to the Womack calculator. Be careful not to get one with a case drain. Some of the "deals" have odd size fittings or shaft sizes too. Torque output may be another issue. Drastically changing rpm's would mean getting a different gearbox .....

What's in our budget? :laughing:

4.95 cu in PTO Drive Motor | Low Speed High Torque Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
Relief & Cushion Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
Hydraulic Motor Calculations - Womack Machine Supply Company

Last edited:
   / Brush hog conversion to hydraulic to run fro FEL #18  
If you will never need a high flow attachment like a forestry mulcher, consider building a smaller lower flow version of the PTO driven Land Pride unit that Dave posted.

Our 7' brush hog rarely reaches the bypass pressure. When it does I slow down or stop and let it speed up again.

Note the cushion valve built in to the motor and 3/4" hoses:

View attachment 564698

View attachment 564699

What motor is on that setup ? What gpm does your telehandler run attachments?