Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #11  
IMHO, it’s more of a question of can the tractor handle the size and weight of the mower (on hills, slopes, lifting, etc..)

Horsepower is a measure of how fast you need to get the job done.

With a hydrostatic you can always reduce ground speed so that the mower is only consuming the horsepower you have.

I’d rather drive 20% slower with a 5’ and not get bounced around than trying to drive 25% faster with a 4’ to cover the same ground in equal time.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #12  
Well, my friend bought the tractor, and the very nice Timberwolf TW-3 3 pt hitch mounted splitter that was for sale with it. Splitter is powered by a large PTO-driven hydraulic pump, so it gets great speed even at moderate tractor RPMs.

He owns a 5 foot brush mower (not sure of the brand), so he tried it out. He said it cut OK, but it was going to take some getting used to the narrow track width - it just felt a little tippy to him. At my suggestion, he checked the rear wheels: they were mounted dished in (making the rear track narrower than the front wheels). Swapping them around will gain him about 6 inches.

Thanks for the help here, folks.

Good for him. The dish out on his rear wheels will make one huge difference in the "tipsiness" feeling and make it a much safer machine to operate on slopes. I assume that is 6" per side or is that just 3" per side for a total of 6" ? The wider the better for working on hillsides, that's for sure.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor
Good for him. The dish out on his rear wheels will make one huge difference in the "tipsiness" feeling and make it a much safer machine to operate on slopes. I assume that is 6" per side or is that just 3" per side for a total of 6" ? The wider the better for working on hillsides, that's for sure.

I think he meant 6" total, but his text was not clear on that.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor

I think he meant 6" total, but his text was not clear on that.