3-Point Hitch brush hog

/ brush hog #11  
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, since the subject doesn't limit it to the smaller tractor. I've got a JD 4720 and need to clear some ground of sagebrush. Some of the "trunks" are over 2" thick, but I don' think there are any thicker than 4".

Any suggestions?

2" green is about the limit for a medium dutry mower.. and even then.. that's a 'once in a while'limit. steady diet of 2" green will kill most light and medium duty mowers.. 2" woody is even harder.. only hd mowers made for land clearing should hit thosw with frequence.

I'm not sure i'd intentionally try to hit 3" I have done it with a 10' hd mower and it sounded like a plane crashing, though all was ok. have knocked a 4" tree OVER with the mower swinging while turning, same with 5-7 fence posts.. but that's not cutting them.. :)

soundguy

/ brush hog #12  
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, since the subject doesn't limit it to the smaller tractor. I've got a JD 4720 and need to clear some ground of sagebrush. Some of the "trunks" are over 2" thick, but I don' think there are any thicker than 4".

Any suggestions?

I use a Woods DS1260 and Land Pride RCR2672 both of which are rated at 3" and have even gone a bit higher. I have used both in really heavy brush/saplings and such. Both do a good job and I haven't broken anything. I only mow heavy stuff a couple of times a year and if I was doing it regularly, I would go with a HD cutter.

As mentioned, cutting heavy stuff is really noisy.

/ brush hog #13  
I appreciate those responses. I have an opportunity to get a used 5 footer for about $800 (probably a little less after negotiation) but I think it's going to be too light for this job. I'll probably end up going with something heavier. Once I get the brush initially cleared off, I think a lighter duty mower would be fine. What I'd like to do is rent the heavier mower for a couple of days, but I can't find one within a hundred miles to rent.

/ brush hog #14  
dang. 800$ hog and it's too light. used to boot.

makes me happy i got my new 5' kk hog for 500$ 10ys ago.. and that beater 5' howse for a hunnerd a while back..

soundguy