Brush mower Vrs Finish mower

/ Brush mower Vrs Finish mower #31  
Well, I will post some photos of the check chains I installed based on DJRADZ's photo. Looks to me like I did essentially the same thing and attached them at the same point (under the 3pt pins). I agree it makes more sense to attach them outboard but I could not do that without interfering with the 3pt arms.

I agree with the comment that based on the geometry these should not really do much more than the position control. Indeed in my brief experiment after installation that is all they did. If I try to mow with the hog about one inch off the ground, even on level ground, when I make a sharp turn there is a significant chance that I will start to plow. By plow I mean the edge of the hog will scape the turf off and leave a big (ugly) curved clean dirt scar between about 2 ft and up to 10 ft long and about 4-8 inches wide before the "plowing" stops. I can avoid plowing altogether if I keep the mower level higher but then the lowest cut is about 5 inches.

Regarding Soundguy's question, I do have lateral stabilizers which can be seen in the photos and which are adjusted fairly tight to prevent lateral motion. In the photos the check chains are loose but I tightened them prior to use after selecting the cut position with position control. They were tight enough at that point that they were hard to turn.

There is a welded loop attachment point on the inside of each 3pt arm that I have never figured out the use for. It is about six inches from the pin coupler and on the inside. I have only a lousy photo that I have put a pointer on to help you see it against the dark background.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Check chains before installation.jpg
    Check chains before installation.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Check chains installed loose.jpg
    Check chains installed loose.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 146
  • welded loop on 3pt arm.JPG
    welded loop on 3pt arm.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 141
   / Brush mower Vrs Finish mower #32  
ovrszd said:
And then what happens when you go over a hump?? The chains would simply lift the deck off the ground. The way your chains are set up they aren't any better than position control which in itself does nothing to control scalping either. ???

It will depend on the size of the hump. Small humps like ant mounds may not even be saved with anti-scalp rollers. This begs the next question... How long are you gonna want to 'finish' cut a place that is littered with drastic humps?

Soundguy

/ Brush mower Vrs Finish mower #33  
Not sure about the welded loop. How big is it.. Size of a lynch pin?

Soundguy

/ Brush mower Vrs Finish mower #34  
I suppose it might be a convenient spot to hold a lynch pin. I'd guess the loop is about 3/8 by 3/4 inch and is about 1/8 inch bent steel rod. It sure doesn't look like it was intended to resist any significant force.

/ Brush mower Vrs Finish mower #35  
My old fords have lynch pin holders on them 'near' the eye, and have a chain looped around the lynch pins, connecting them to the holders.

Soundguy