Bucket/boom cylinder packing

/ Bucket/boom cylinder packing #11  
Since its a hole....more technically it would be a "pin spanner"

A pipe wrench also works.

Easiest to break it loose while the cylinder is still installed on the machine. No better way to "hold" the cylinder than how its is mounted

I rebuilt a cylinder on my dozer and it didn’t want to play easy to get apart. The bolts laughed at my cheater pipe and then they laughed at a 3/4 Milwaukee impact. The gland nut didn’t play any nicer. I had to use a 1” impact on it. Luckily for the op that little cylinder is much easier to deal with.
IMG_1714.JPG

/ Bucket/boom cylinder packing
Yeah, some of them can be tough. Few years ago I did a Case 680 backhoe boom cylinder that one had to put some heat to it if I remember right and a 8' pipe.

/ Bucket/boom cylinder packing #13  
I’ve put pins in the hole and then an air hammer against the pin

/ Bucket/boom cylinder packing #14  
Semi Synth transmission fluid 50/50 acetone to soak in.
3 or 4 inches of chrome exposed, and TAPED up for protection.
Pipe wrench does so many jobs.
Leave or replace rod to frame, as bottom, inside nut will need to come off too.
Reverse for reassembly, paint, enjoy!

Got it loose. This is what I used.

Attachments

• 20220407_144048.jpg
    20220407_144048.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 74
   / Bucket/boom cylinder packing #16  
Since its a hole....more technically it would be a "pin spanner"

A pipe wrench also works.

Easiest to break it loose while the cylinder is still installed on the machine. No better way to "hold" the cylinder than how its is mounted

I worked at a dealer. We had an old proto pipe wrench. We also had colored spray paint.

Im working on it today. This is what I think caused the leak. What should I do just sand ti a little to get rid of the sharp edges?

Attachments

• 20220510_132726.jpg
    20220510_132726.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220510_132719.jpg
    20220510_132719.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
I stoned it just a little. I would think there is a better way.

/ Bucket/boom cylinder packing #19  
That's about all you can do to save the seals. But it's still gonna leak everytime that passes the gland. Or worse if it's under pressure with the bad spot right at the gland.

Long term is have a rod made for it.

Just had one done on my 334 mini ex. Was about $300 from a local shop....but probably alot larger than yours.

Hopefully you can find a good shop local if you don't like the results of your stoning/sanding

I didn't know you could have a rod made. I'll look into it. For now it's back together so I can do some work around here. It it's probably going to ruin the seals right up