Bucket wear.

/ Bucket wear. #1  

BnRidge

Gold Member
Tractor
CK4010se
Using the bucket on concrete for snow removal and firewood creates a lot of wear on the blade. What's the best way to prevent that. Back in the day we would just run it, and wait for stuff to wear out. Hard face? Weld on skid plates, or something bolt on like teeth or ?
Picture doesn't look like much, but the hours are low and it's scraping off fairly quick. 0212231635.jpg

/ Bucket wear. #3  
When my tractor was new I bolted on an 8" skid steer bucket wear edge, 2000 hours and 25 years later, it has almost zero wear. It also stiffened up the bucket. When my kids get to be my age it might be time for the edge to be flipped over.

/ Bucket wear. #4  
Before the edge gets too worn and thin, I would purchase a bolton on replaceable cutting edge, drill out your existing edge and bolt the new one in place. Then as it wears, you can either flip it (usually reversible) or replace it. This is usually done when new, so the original bucket lip is solid. Yours is now worn and may have a curve to the bottom of the edge. If the curve is not bad, I'd drill and put the bolt on unit in place. Maybe hit it with a grinder to minimize the amount of dirt trying to wedge it way between the bucket and edge. If its bad, you can buy a replacement bucket lip with bolt holts, cut the orginal out and weld in the new one.

/ Bucket wear. #5  
A long bottom skidsteer bucket came with my used M59. Landscape model was used to load mulch probably off concrete. 2” wear from center to sides. Had BXpanded make a custom, wide blade piranha bar to weld in. Great bucket now.

Many types of weld on or bolt options available.

/ Bucket wear. #6  
Weld plow cutting blade.

/ Bucket wear.
Before the edge gets too worn and thin, I would purchase a bolton on replaceable cutting edge, drill out your existing edge and bolt the new one in place. Then as it wears, you can either flip it (usually reversible) or replace it.
I see a number of bolt on edges available. It's something I hadn't anticipated, but sounds like what's needed. It's not too worn, and there are bolt holes available now that maybe I can use.

/ Bucket wear. #8  
I used the bolt on edge. Works great!
bucketedg.jpeg

bucketedg1.jpeg

/ Bucket wear. #9  
Hi,
Bought an fel with a bent and banged up bucket recently. Straightened out the bucket ok, but look what happened to the hardened wear edge when I tried to straighten it.
I welded it up straight then fully welded it up to the straightened bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_20230128_105009_1.jpg
    IMG_20230128_105009_1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
   / Bucket wear. #10  
I wore out the cutting edge on my bucket mostly plowing snow on blacktop. All the welding or fabrication shops I tried wanted way too much money for a repair. A small tractor repair shop sold me something they called 1/2 arrowhead. I ground off the old edge and welded on the new one, warping it. A relative who was a "saw filer" explained how to straighten it using the heat of a cutting torch. Took me about 15 minutes and the edge has been good ever since. Much stronger than the original.