Buddy seat help

/ Buddy seat help #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
I have been trying to keep an eye out for some sort of buddy seat. Since they don't have anything for my specific model tractor, any ideas on what you guys would use to mount a buddy seat? Here are some photos of what I have to work with space wise.
20190609_112007.jpg

20190608_152511.jpg

/ Buddy seat help #4  
In the last two years, two youngsters in my township (9000 people) have gone under tractors for not being safely seated in the operator's seat. One lost his life, the other his legs. I worry that both operators thought it was safe up to the moment that they realied that it was horribly unsafe. I would never carry a person on an open tractor, other than in a seat designed for the purpose.

/ Buddy seat help #5  
They sit over the wheel. A part of the seatbelt, clothing, hand, hair, toy gets caught on that wheel and it’s all over before you even know what happened. From the operator’s seat you might be able to reach a wheel because those fenders aren’t to keep mud off the tractor they’re there to keep you out of the wheel. From a buddy seat it’s inches away. Too dangerous.

/ Buddy seat help #6  
Buddy seats are not usually seen on open station tractors in North America.
Also there doesn't see to be much room on your tractor for one.
That said your call about mounting one high on the left fender facing in to the operators station.
Rode many a fender in my younger days.

/ Buddy seat help #7  
Fenders, footboards, drawbars and 3 PH arms. Maybe even the hood a time or 2. You either found a place to ride or you had to walk to the tobacco field. Thing is, we knew how not to fall off.

/ Buddy seat help
My kids will ride with me from time to time (either they stand in front of me or stand in the space to my left). I would not mount something on the fender if their feet would be dangling in front of the wheel. I would be looking for something that would replace my arm rest. The gap there is about 10" with the arm rest and just a bit bigger without. I know they sell them for more popular named tractors so I was looking for ideas for my set up and if one of those buddy seats specifically designed for tractors would work or if anyone has modified them to work on their non green/orange tractor.

/ Buddy seat help #9  
And yet the tractors in India, Pakistan and other such places have seating built onto the fenders. Countless videos of the third world methods. Looks awfully dangerous.

/ Buddy seat help #10  
And yet the tractors in India, Pakistan and other such places have seating built onto the fenders. Countless videos of the third world methods. Looks awfully dangerous.
True, but in India if I ran over your child I could give you a cow and you'd be highly grateful. In Pakistan if I ran over your daughter it wouldn't be an issue at all. So there's a slight difference in the value of human life to consider too.