Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles

/ Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles #91  
LOL....its the 60v version but it still took 3 batteries, a sore back, and tender knees. Nothing like ripping 140' of 2" green oak :). I am going to let it dry out a year or so and then decide on stain/protection. Any suggestions on how to protect/stain white oak?

Yeah, I thought about that too. There is some space between the planks so water wont be an issue, but we will see how it goes. Adding some spacers down the road would be pretty easy if I needed to.
I used 2/3 boiled linseed oil 1/3 turpentine. Mixed in a 5 gallon bucket and brushed on. 2 coats so far, probably used a gallon total for my bridge. Approx 30’ long with handrails.

/ Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles
I used 2/3 boiled linseed oil 1/3 turpentine. Mixed in a 5 gallon bucket and brushed on. 2 coats so far, probably used a gallon total for my bridge. Approx 30’ long with handrails.
Did you let the wood dry out first?

/ Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles #93  
I would imagine you'll get better results and long term protection by letting the wood dry out first, yeah. Do you have a wood moisture meter?

Even something basic link regular Thompsons water seal would probably work well.

I will post back at a later date if/when I decide to use some protectant. If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions, I will keep an eye on this thread. Thanks.

/ Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles #96  
Fair enough, but do take some glamour shots when your fall colors hit. :)

Hello, all. Just stopping in for a quick update. Bridge is doing great, fall colors are starting to creep in.....and we had a "Storm of the Century" (or so they called it) here in the Mid-Atlantic along the bay where we live yesterday. Extreme high tides combined with inches of rain produced some crazy effects along the shore areas around here. To say I was a tad concerned would put it mildly, but even though the water crept higher than its been in 40 years, it did no damage to the bridge, and this morning, water levels are backing off. Pic one is normal, pic two was about 4 hours before the water hit its high point, and pic 3 is as high as it got, but its night and tough to see.

Normal conditions see the water levels anywhere from 42" - 48" below the bridge pole stringers. At its height yesterday, it was less than a foot. You can see in the night pic, the water was above the 2nd 6x6 that the poles sit on.

I will try to post up some fall pics once the colors really get going

Attachments

• 1051412971.jpg
    1051412971.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 1053633831.jpg
    1053633831.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 1054795762.jpg
    1054795762.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
   / Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles #99  
Beautiful Fall color!!!

It sure looks like you placed the bridge at the perfect height.

/ Building 55' Bridge Across Creek - Utility Poles #100  
For the treatment process - I have seen the application of a DIY mixture used on a trl deck, it is going on mine as well as all of my yard hand tools (wooden handles). The mixture is 1 part diesel and two part (used) oil (transmission, hyd etc). There will be some odour issues for a short spell however, I can sure attest to the use of diesel, it has been my go to for years for treating my leather boots.