Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #31  
Nice plan. I would also recommend a taller door than 8'. 10' would be wise but even 9' would be better.

You can still use an opener, either the track style with an extension or a jack-shaft style opener. I have the jack shaft style as mine are set up as "high lift" so they go up close to my 13' ceiling to stay out of the way, and the garage door guy told me I would have to use this style opener with that.

A little late joining the party here so as I was reading I was thinking "geez I hope the helical piles actually can reach torque or he is going to have a BIG problem!" But then I see you got it to work so (y)

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse
Nice plan. I would also recommend a taller door than 8'. 10' would be wise but even 9' would be better.

You can still use an opener, either the track style with an extension or a jack-shaft style opener. I have the jack shaft style as mine are set up as "high lift" so they go up close to my 13' ceiling to stay out of the way, and the garage door guy told me I would have to use this style opener with that.

A little late joining the party here so as I was reading I was thinking "geez I hope the helical piles actually can reach torque or he is going to have a BIG problem!" But then I see you got it to work so (y)

I started at a 9' wide door and looking at a lot of older threads on shop builds, increased it to 10' wide.

I am now thinking, I need to see about being able to increase the height. I will check with the local door suppliers I have been using to see what they have for options using a jack shaft style opener (which I think in Canada are called "wall mount").

Michael

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #33  
I went with 10' wide by 8' high doors on my pole barn garage with 10' sidewalls, for all the same reasons you mentioned (cost reduction, building looming too tall over the land, etc).

No regrets here at all. My Kioti CK3510 with backhoe glides under the 8' tall doors with a few inches to spare, so why would I need it any taller? The only thing I would possibly like is to get a camper trailer inside sometimes, but that takes a 12 or even 13' tall opening - not happening. The 10' instead of 9' wide is very prudent, though. A pickup truck with tow mirrors is 9' wide already.

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #34  
"A few inches" is one thing but it sounded like the OP was in the "barely clears" group which is asking for it (but perhaps I misread it...?)

A friend of mine had a "barely clears" garage for his L3130 (my old one that I sold to him) and one day he was pulling back in, the door was not quite 100% all the way up and now it doesn't go up and down so well anymore with the giant crease in it from the ROPS... He also did not have an opener so the door position was not perfectly consistent every time and it could slide back down an inch or two sometimes. He was careful to reach up as he went under to make sure it was all the way up...except one time...

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #35  
Yeah having door openers with precise stops is critical, for this reason. When my power is out and I have to decouple from the opener track and manually open/close, they do that too, not always consistent height.

You make a good point. 1" clearance is pretty tight

Based on the good advice, I looked into it and I am going with a 9' high door. They do sell it with a regular overhead lift, it just use a couple different parts for the tracks than the standard to become a "low overhead door".

It added a few $$ but not excessively and 1" of clearance is tight so the extra height will be a stress avoider (and improves my options for future equipment)

So I started at 9' X 8' - and have migrated to 10' x 9' based on the wisdom of others. Thanks!

Last edited:
Lost some time due to illness and other priorities - thankfully the weather here has been unseasonably warm.

My contractor decided to add some screw piles into the area for the main slab. His sheepsfoot blew a bearing early in the process and it was backordered by Bobcat for several weeks, so he was limited to his hoe-pack. Given the depths the perimeter screw piles went, he wasn't comfortable with the slab situation so added in 6 screw piles (at his cost) and they all took a 10' extension. Had to do this prior to finishing the forms for the perimeter to get the equipment in.

1697867402186.jpeg

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #39  
Really an impressive build!!!!!!

/ Building a shop / shed / barn / greenhouse #40  
Based on the good advice, I looked into it and I am going with a 9' high door. They do sell it with a regular overhead lift, it just use a couple different parts for the tracks than the standard to become a "low overhead door".

It added a few $$ but not excessively and 1" of clearance is tight so the extra height will be a stress avoider (and improves my options for future equipment)

So I started at 9' X 8' - and have migrated to 10' x 8' based on the wisdom of others. Thanks!
I think you mean 10x9...