Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,291  
Just sent ya PM, Ron.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,293  
Thanks. :laughing: My computer seems to lock up when I.....

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,294  
:laughing: A bit early for a dram o' scotch...but just a bit. :D That's a good shot using photo editing software, Ron. You've got a lot of patience/perseverance. :thumbsup:

I'd be all over the pizza, but my wife is just getting home, so I suppose she'll make me eat a salad. :mad:

It's always evening somewhere in the world, which means any time is a good time for Scotch.

As for the salad... Sonic Drive-In Sweet Potato Tots TV Commercial, 'Grounded' - YouTube

Seems to me that common sense and having a drain pipe in every location where downspouts are would have been a STRONG hint as to the proper thing to do,
-Stu

Unfortunately standard gutters and downspouts don't require overly skilled people to install, which means common sense is a rare commodity, language barriers are common, and meth & beer are no doubt consumed in mass quantities.

Yeah I'd be concerned about framing carpenters doing finish carpentry.

I am impressed...My mother has not even got to the black electrical tape to cover the flashing 12:00 on her microwave

Your Mom sounds about as technophobic as mine was. It's obvious Pete's Mom isn't afraid of it.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,295  
My experience is that hanging gutters is a separate trade and what happens to the water once it leaves the downspout is not their concern. Even if there is pipe in place they just terminate with an elbow (which presumably gets thrown away). I suspect that they learn that they don't want anything to do with the underground portion of the job, if there are problems the costs of fixing it are much greater. If they never touch it they can't get blamed for anything.

And the transition part required from downspout to 3" drain is not standard nor do they have it in their truck so they 'did as usual'.
Your drain is good idea but you somehow need a screen there.
Maybe use a 4 to 3 inch reducer to act as a funnel with slight gap between downspout and in ground drain?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,296  
I am impressed...My mother has not even got to the black electrical tape to cover the flashing 12:00 on her microwave

LOL That is like how I cured my yellow ABS warning light on my Jimmy! strip of black tape!

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,297  
Day 87

Despite the rain, I convinced them to get going with the excavation today. Trench is dug from the well to the house and they ran to get the pipe and wire, so hopefully they will get that knocked out today.

day87-1.jpg

day87-2.jpg

day87-3.jpg

day87-4.jpg

Got a shot of the paint buckets. I don't know how they come up with those paint color names. :D

day87-5.jpg

#1,298  
Your drain is good idea but you somehow need a screen there.
Maybe use a 4 to 3 inch reducer to act as a funnel with slight gap between downspout and in ground drain?
I'm not sure I follow you on the screen. There are gutter guards (screens) above the gutters themselves. Are you saying there should be secondary screens at the bottom of the downspouts? I've never seen that.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,299  
This is what I recommended to Obed to help clean-out any debris that might get caught in the drains. I would turn the wye to be parallel with the house though.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 760
#1,300  
Ah, that makes sense. I've had to use a snake a couple of times on mine, and I had to start at the exit end. This would probably work a lot better!

Few more pics from this afternoon.

Pipe and wire are in and trench being covered back up

day87-6.jpg

Well end

day87-7.jpg

Inside basement

day87-8.jpg

Closeup

day87-9.jpg

Hallway shot. I think that wall with the red arrows should not have been grey. Will need to check w/ mom.

day87-10.jpg

This is the paint they are using. Any good? We had specified Valspar Premium, but the builder claims the painter says this is better...

day87-11.jpg