Building my barn!

/ Building my barn!
Challenges for the weekend were to adapt the column baseplates and then figure how the heck to lift them into place.

The anchor bolts were jigged to maintain spacing and distance from the edge of the slab. Unfortunately that assumed my foundation was perfectly straight! Well she’s close but not quite. Loses about 3/4” in width around the middle, then picks up that plus a 1/2 by the far end. So I needed to slot the base plates to allow some scooching of the columns to keep the building square and the correct size. Several hours with the die grinder and some carbide burrs got er done
IMG_3531.jpeg

The worst one I had to slot about 1/2”. Several less than that, and 4 or 5 were good to go out of the box. Hard work grinding such thick steel.

Next step was to get the columns vertical and moveable so I could set on the anchors (solo - that’s the real challenge) My FEL will lift 8’, and the columns are 12’ long (and very top heavy!). I tried a bunch of different rigging schemes with various failures. Finally I thought “why I don’t I just shove it up, and then lift when vertical?” So I bolted a 2x8 “bumper” to my forks, and threw a strap around to keep it from flying away, and then using that strap to lift it just a bit so I could swing it around. The bumper is two pieces thru bolted, and whacked as far up the fork taper as it would go. Nice and study for 150 lb posts.

IMG_3528.jpeg

Here she is - suspended just an inch or so above the ground. Successful test! Took all the columns down to the site, placed one, and then my sunburn got the best of me. That’s all for today!
IMG_3530.jpeg

/ Building my barn! #12  
Exciting isn't it! Looks great so far. You'll be an expert improviser when you finish this. (your post/tractor solution) 👍

/ Building my barn! #13  
I'm enjoying your build. It's really nice seeing so much effort going into your concrete slab!!!!

/ Building my barn! #14  
What's your plan for raising the rafters?

/ Building my barn!
What's your plan for raising the rafters?
I’ll need a machine (other than the tractor) to lift the trusses. The trusses ship in halves, but have to be bolted together on the ground and lifted whole. Each one will be 40’ long and just shy of 400 lbs. I’m planning to rent an articulated boom lift with a material hook. Those things are rated for 500lb load and I can tow one with my Tacoma.

/ Building my barn! #16  
How high do they need to go? I would think a rigged boom attached to the forks with guy wires & a chain hoist at the top could get you done as long as the tractor has rear ballast & the loader can lift it. (and assembly area isn't far from install location)

/ Building my barn! #17  
Get a couple of rolling scaffolds at the rental center or 2-8' step ladders at minimum. One for/at each post during erection. Some hearty C clamps and a good tapered drift pin for bolting hole alignment and a come a long will be indispensable. If you don't have 2 good friends to help out on that day, you might consider finding a guy with a little knuckle boom crane. This will enable you and the operator to get it done by yourself fairly efficiently.
Depending on lots of variables prior to assembly day, the multitude of small holes that all have to come together fairly precisely can affect your time.
There may be a lot of running around loosening up the posts to achieve alignment.
It should be an exciting (and rewarding) day!

/ Building my barn! #18  
How high do they need to go? I would think a rigged boom attached to the forks with guy wires & a chain hoist at the top could get you done as long as the tractor has rear ballast & the loader can lift it. (and assembly area isn't far from install location)
We did our pole barn trusses with a 20' boom and Harbor Freight hoist. Placed the 8' tall x 32' long trusses on the 12' walls with ease. We built a jig to support the trusses across multiple places.

Attachments

• Truss Boom 1.jpeg
    Truss Boom 1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 151
  • Truss Boom 2.jpeg
    Truss Boom 2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 144
  • Truss Boom 3.jpeg
    Truss Boom 3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 129
  • Truss Boom 4.jpeg
    Truss Boom 4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
   / Building my barn!
Another scorcher this weekend! Made some good progress since my last post. All 12 columns are up, and the width of the building has been checked and adjust for each column pair. Worst set is about 1/4” wide at the base - easy enough to bring together at the eaves. Doubt anyone but me will notice an 1/8 per side!

Columns on the left side have all been shimmed plumb in both directions and snugged up. I’m sure I’ll need to wiggle a few when the trusses go on, so I haven’t threadlocked any of them yet. Once the whole building is up, I’ll grout under the base plates.

Started framing out the left wall. I may finish it up tonight after the baby goes down. Or I might just have a few beers and relax (let’s pretend I don’t already know the answer 🍺🍺🍺)
IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

If I can make some progress tomorrow and Tuesday I may plan to lift the trusses next Saturday. Unfortunately I have to travel for work W-F this week, and then again Sunday. Not a great schedule for getting **** done.

/ Building my barn! #20  
Looks good!