Burn piles

/ Burn piles #51  
Yeah I tried to scrape the ash off down to clean soil (not perfect) and then sprinkled some sandy soil back over top. I worked it a bit more after that picture but you are absolutely right. Would love to reseed asap but it's frozen soil time now. Probably throw some seed in May.

I have a dream to bring in my excavation guy and his dozer and turn this area into a larger flat area, maybe as a play/ball field, maybe for my future cash crop (lavender farm?). Not sure yet. So I wanted all the nails up, but dont mind burning the grass off this part for now.
And after you've cleaned up 'ALL' the nails, screws and bolts - you'll still be finding more nails a year from now. BT-DT. Hopefully by then they'll be rusted to the crumbling stage and not in your tire.
There's no bullet proof way around this problem short of scraping up the bottom layer and burying it.
BTW - that was a VERY nice fire you built!

/ Burn piles #52  
And after you've cleaned up 'ALL' the nails, screws and bolts - you'll still be finding more nails a year from now. BT-DT. Hopefully by then they'll be rusted to the crumbling stage and not in your tire.
There's no bullet proof way around this problem short of scraping up the bottom layer and burying it.
Yeah thanks. It rained a bit overnight, so I'm going to check the area again today and see if any nails resurfaced.

/ Burn piles #53  
We dug a huge hole with the excavator and have been burning in it for the last year. 3 early 1900s collapsed sheds have been burned in it, old fence corner posts with barb wire, staples, spikes, etc. Once it gets within a foot or so of ground level we'll push the excavated dirt pile over it, smooth the area out and dig another.

/ Burn piles #54  
Yeah thanks. It rained a bit overnight, so I'm going to check the area again today and see if any nails resurfaced.
"The only way to keep nails from surfacing is to not put them in there in the first place." As instructed by my father. Jon

/ Burn piles #55  
Man, ain’t that the truth.

These pallets had to go. But dang.

Soil was nice and dry yesterday afternoon, so i could drag my magnet through the top couple inches with ease.

Got this many more:

/ Burn piles #56  
So..... I've got about eight inches of snow. Went out to check my big 'ol burn pile. It's all - sections of tree trunks and limbs. OOPS - too late. The quail have taken it over for their residence. I'll be letting Mother Nature handle this situation.

It's a whole lot simpler that way anyhow.

/ Burn piles #57  
Yesterday, I checked the burn pile area I burned last Thursday. It still had some heat in the ashes. Used a fork on it and I could tell there was still some heat and a few small unburned pieces in it. But the pile had a lot of scrap from the saw mill logs, ie bark, wane etc. It burned well into the night on the first night. Next day still had a good size pile of coals burning. This is in comparison to dad's burn pile which are mostly brush trimmings from cedar and fruit trees. Jon

/ Burn piles
Burning bonfire piles hot and clear is the only respectable way to go, IMO. For your neighbors and for the environment overall. Feeding one ultra hot pile location with a tractor grapple is an excellent way to keep things contained and controlled, but also hot and efficient.

Not awesome when people leave them unattended to smolder and smoke for days. My neighbor used to like to try to burn wet, fresh cut brush too.... so smoky.

I was bad about this one time myself. I was burning brush that would have gone pretty hot and clear, but then my brother-in-law heard my plans and brought over a trailer load to burn up also. But his was fresh cut cedar branches full of pine needles. Each load of that stuff put on the fire erupted a THICK yellow cloud of nasty smoke, that promptly blew over to my neighbors house when they were trying to have a covid-friendly picnic with extended family. I swear its the only time the wind has blown in that specific direction, but I kinda filled the woods up with smoke that day. They came over and asked if I could put out the fire.... had to say, sorry, but no not really. I stopped adding extra bush, but the existing pile is going to burn until its done.
I can't agree more, and that's why I violate my burning permit stipulations of a "4 foot diameter" pile every time.
There's no way to get a 4 foot pile burning super hot; a quarter of it's burned before that much heat is produced and then it's dying out near the end without much of a coal bed.

I make a pile of dry, get the 400k btu propane torch out and get the whole thing going fast. Once it's too hot to get within 10', it doesn't matter if I'm putting fresh cut stuff on it!

/ Burn piles #60  
Man, ain’t that the truth.

These pallets had to go. But dang.

Soil was nice and dry yesterday afternoon, so i could drag my magnet through the top couple inches with ease.

Got this many more:
I collected over two gallon buckets of nails, hinges, screws, etc from my last burn. My burn pile is a 28' bin slab, but I move the cooled ashes to low area(s) so I want NO metal in there. There are two grassy areas the prior owners used for burning and I still find all sorts of metal stuff there, which I don't want to mow over...