Burning coal

/ Burning coal
When I mention coal everyone associates it with the old soft coal of years ago . It was a debate for me as to go with coal or wood pellets . I couldn't get wood pellets in bulk , and if they get wet or damp they are useless . The big plus for wood pellets in a boiler at least is they start up automatically when heat is needed , a friend of mine has one and really likes his , but he has to handle all those bags of pellets to get them in his cellar . I never have to touch the coal with a coal bin until I put some in the hopper , sure works for me .

/ Burning coal #33  
We burn 6 ton a year paying $215 a ton delivered and put into our basement.

Just ordered 6 ton of super hard nut for $210 a ton delivered.

$1300/year?

I don't think so Tim.

Glad I have a small house and no one to complain about it being too cool. I don't think I've spent $1300 to heat for the last 5 years total.

/ Burning coal #34  
a friend of mine has one and really likes his , but he has to handle all those bags of pellets to get them in his cellar . I never have to touch the coal with a coal bin until I put some in the hopper , sure works for me .
You do realize you can pour those pellets down a chute into big containers for later use, just coal, don't you?

SR

/ Burning coal #35  
When I broke the news to the first lady that I was installing a coal boiler in the house, the wife said not in MY house, you're NOT. That summer was quite tense while I worked on my pet project and ate cold baloney sandwiches for supper many nights. Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 10.59.05 PM.png
She quickly changed her attitude after that first winter and now is a bigger advocate of the coal than I am.
That was 8 years ago and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I burn an average of 4 tons and my average cost is about $240/T delivered to heat 1800 sq.ft. of living space.
An added benefit from that is I get to use the tractor & FEL to bring coal into the garage and dump into a stock tank (on wheels) once a month.:cool2::tractor:

/ Burning coal #36  
When I broke the news to the first lady that I was installing a coal boiler in the house, the wife said not in MY house, you're NOT. That summer was quite tense while I worked on my pet project and ate cold baloney sandwiches for supper many nights.View attachment 580260
She quickly changed her attitude after that first winter and now is a bigger advocate of the coal than I am.
That was 8 years ago and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I burn an average of 4 tons and my average cost is about $240/T delivered to heat 1800 sq.ft. of living space.
An added benefit from that is I get to use the tractor & FEL to bring coal into the garage and dump into a stock tank (on wheels) once a month.:cool2::tractor:
Nice looking unit and install,
nice to have a fuel that doesn't care where it's stored,
brush the snow off, let most of the water drain off and ready to go.
I use the 40# bags in my insert, pickup a pallet with the forks,
carry it up to the house stack 20-30 bags away handy, I dump
the bags into 5 gallon plastic buckets and bring in two buckets / bags
at a time, shake the ashes down once a day and refill with a bucket or less / day.
Hard way to get a lot of my heat, no cutting, spitting, stacking, curing :drink:

/ Burning coal #37  
Just got 2 ton delivered @ 220 ton.
What does everyone do with their ashes?

/ Burning coal #38  
I put mine on the driveway when it gets snow packed or icey,
either thru the sander or sifting out of the bucket on the loader.
I put them where we don't walk to avoid tracking them in the house.

/ Burning coal #39  
I put mine on the driveway when it gets snow packed or icey,
either thru the sander or sifting out of the bucket on the loader.
I put them where we don't walk to avoid tracking them in the house.

I do the same spreading them with the loader on the driveway or the TWP. road....and BTW Thanks Lou for the comment. I really enjoyed installing that boiler and controls to integrate with the oil boiler.

/ Burning coal #40  
We are in process of building a retirement cottage. It's only 600 sq ft. We bought a 'parlor stove' to burn coal for our main heat when it drops below 40 degrees. Anyone have a guess about how much I would burn a day? I was planning on getting Anthracite chunks in 50lb sacks.