Bush Hog blade angle question

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #1  

adamlj

Tractor
Kubota B2601
Quick question for guys with bush hog experience. I'm working on refurbishing an old 5' Bush Hog RB60R. It needs a little TLC but overall not bad for a 35+ year old machine. My question is related to the blades. Previous owner told me it had new blades when I got it, and they are in good shape. I can see they're stamped 'Bush Hog'. What seems odd is the blade tips are angled up. The tips are about an inch higher than the mid section of the blade where the offset bend is. When I first noticed it I figured I had a bent blade, then I noticed they're both angled up in the same way. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in the attached photo. I'm thinking about taking them off and having someone 'straighten' them with a press, so the top section that attaches to the stump jumper and bottom section with the cutting edge are parallel to one another. Or, are they supposed to be this way for some reason?? Hopefully this explanation makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 313
   / Bush Hog blade angle question #2  
So far I've checked out six brands of bush hog. I'm thinking of a rotary or flail. I've yet so see one with blades bent like that. Don't rebend the blades until you get more replies. This could be some optional, special type of blade.

Besides - if the unit runs & cuts fine - who cares. That's an excellent picture. Shows exactly what you are talking about.

Welcome to TBN and the forum.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #3  
so the top section that attaches to the stump jumper and bottom section with the cutting edge are parallel to one another
Parallel is the way they should be, asfaik.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #4  
The riding mowers have blades that are turned up on the
end to assist the grass to go out the discharge.
The air flow also assists in carrying the cut grass blades out the discharge.
DON'T CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THE BLADES!!!!!!!!!

willy

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #5  
The mower blades following edge is turned up to increase turbulence. That's a different issue from what he has.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #6  
if I am lookin at the picture correctly, It appears the blades have double bends, one to lower the blade right after the mount, and a second bend in the opposite direction further out to bring the cutting portion back parallel to the ground. Is that a correct description? If it is I would say it is not necessarily normal, but perfectly acceptable. As long as the cutting surface is parallel to the ground it is OK, You just have to raise the bush hog a bit higher to cut at the same height if the blades were straight. If the cutting edges aren't parallel to the ground, however, something is definitely wrong.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #7  
Get the number off your blades. Confirm they are the correct blade for your machine. From the pic's I'd say they aren't the correct blades. The blade should be parallel to the ground.

I would not attempt to alter those blades. Rotary cutters are already way dangerous with everything working properly.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #8  
My take is those blades are bent. Use them the way they are or if that doesn't give you an acceptable cut quality replace them.

/ Bush Hog blade angle question #9  
I tried to straighten a bent rototiller tine and it cracked with a loud report. Sounded like a 9mm pistol round! I would be careful trying to straighten you blade.