bush hog wheel question

/ bush hog wheel question #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Bought an old, but good, 4' bush hog. Works great, except the tail wheel drags sideways when going forward, which is not great. Curiously, it tracks well going backwards. I am quessing it needs a little more rake, and I am considering cutting a deep notch in each side, bending it back about 3/4" of an inch, and re-welding. Any advice??

Attachments

• hog 2 (1).jpg
    hog 2 (1).jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 165
  • hog 2 (2).jpg
    hog 2 (2).jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 160
   / bush hog wheel question #3  
Mine was doing something similar. The wheel axle bushings had gone bad allowing the wheel to wobble. Bought a new one at TSC, had to shim it with a couple of washers but it goes straight now.

/ bush hog wheel question
I cut out wedges from the forks, beveled the cut's edges, bent the forks together, and welded them. I think this solves my problem.
thumbnail_wheel frame.jpg

/ bush hog wheel question #6  
Looks good

Please post how it works and I am adding tailwheels to flail mower and I need to ensure it has the right amount of rake/caster.

/ bush hog wheel question
I will report, but it'll be a while. I just looked at "better" rough cut mowers, and tried to more or less match their offset rakes, without creating any issues for myself, like the wheel hitting the frame. I have no idea what brand this was, but the welding precision was awful- whoever put it together did a lousy job of aligning things up and centering stuff. Hopefully, next fall when I use it again, it will track properly. I may just test it when the ground is dry- we'll see.