Bush Hogging Poison Ivy

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #31  
For those interested in the pills, mine come from a company at Washington Homeopathic Products • 1-800-336-1695
My brother gets them at a small town pharmacy in south east MO somewhere so you might check around.
Again, they are not a proven cure but they do seem to help us. We take 3-5 a day as a preventative type of measure. Before starting them I ended up at the Dr. office twice.
I still get slight cases but it seems to be more like a slight rash and never get to the weeping stage. The hot showers I have done is only days AFTER exposure. You will never know itching until you have done this. The itch is so intense when the hot water is on it but it does seem to relieve the itch for some period afterwards.

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #32  
This makes me remember something that happened a few years ago. While working out back one saturday, I came into the house for some lunch. My wife who gets poison ivy just by thinking about it was at the sink. I gave her a loving "reach around" while she was washing the dishes. She did not talk to me for two weeks! Now I spay, dig, rip and distroy all that I can find

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #33  
Also remember that poison ivy leaves a light oil on the surfaces it touches. Tools that have cut it (come in contact with) can have that oil on them wihich remains active for years.

Andy

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #34  
AndyMA said:
Also remember that poison ivy leaves a light oil on the surfaces it touches. Tools that have cut it (come in contact with) can have that oil on them wihich remains active for years.

Andy

Hi there Andy.
This is why I spray, spray, and spray again. I do cut the ropes at the bottom, and wash the pruning saw after. I will not mow til it's dead, and then wait til after a few rains. (although I can't personally give proof, I take the "active for years" as if it's true.)

I'm carefull, but still got a couple of minor PI rashes last summer.

"Still killing poison ivy in Connecticut."

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #35  
   / Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #36  
irwin said:
Hi there Andy.
This is why I spray, spray, and spray again. I do cut the ropes at the bottom, and wash the pruning saw after. I will not mow til it's dead, and then wait til after a few rains. (although I can't personally give proof, I take the "active for years" as if it's true.)

I'm carefull, but still got a couple of minor PI rashes last summer.

"Still killing poison ivy in Connecticut."

The "active for years" comes from a couple of sources besides experience. One is a respected allergist at UMass Med Center and the other is the UConn Connecticut Cooperative Extension System.

Remember it seems to need to remain in a liquid state to be active. Once dried out into a powder I haven't had any problems with it. I tend to cut off large trunks with clippers and let the upper vines dry. I then pull them out with gloves and put in large plastic garbage bags. The worst I've ever had it was when I chain sawed through vines that were almost 2 inches in diameter on the trunk of apple trees. My father and grandfather who were nurserymen burned some roots they had removed from some laurel they were separating and got it in there throats and lungs. They almost lost there lives.

Andy

Last edited:
   / Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #37  
You may find this link useful for more information:

UCONN IPM: Integrated Pest Management:poison Ivy

"Not everyone has an allergic reaction the first time he or she comes in contact with the plant. The body does develop an immune response on first contact that builds each time a person is exposed. Usually, repeated exposures result in increasingly severe reactions. A few people appear to be immune but, in fact, may react only to large amounts of urushiol."

Andy

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #38  
Originally Posted by Champy
Any details on these pills? Name / Brand / Store to purchase? Thanks

I have used a product called Rhus Tox for years. I used to have really bad reactions that covered my arms, neck, face and legs for a good part of spring and summer when I was in the woods. It is homeopathic but I can vouch for the effectiveness of it at least with my wife and me. You can find it and some drug stores or you can order it online.
Click here for a source online if you are interested. You need to take it for awhile before it starts to work but it seriously reduces your reactions to the poison ivy.

Good luck.

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #39  
Or you could eat cashews.

/ Bush Hogging Poison Ivy #40  
Took a dog out tracking one day. PI in the woods. Dog tracked just fine thru it. Ex gave bad looks at me after sitting on the couch in shorts after the dog had been there!!