"bushhog" Blade Sharpening

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #1  

charlessenf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I've a 4' Yellow 'bush hog' type (Maybe Tractor Supply) and never (10 yeas in +/-) even looked at the blades much less sharpened them. My excuse is they are hard to see . . .

How does one get a look at them?

How often do folks replace them? Or sharpen them?

How would I go about sharpening them?

I do not use it a lot - one bottom field I wind up cutting down most Summers - but have neglected a bit and it needs attention.

I have a trailer I suppose I could transport the thing on to get it to a dealer after saaving up for a few months to pay!) but it should be something I can handle once i know where to start.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #2  
This link is one of many threads; I think I saw a more recent one in the past few weeks.

I’ve never sharpened mine; 20 years old.

Can look at the blades by lowering the cutter onto large sturdy wood blocks on at least four spots under the frame itself, then just look (don’t crawl) under.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #3  
Some people stand up one end of the mower vertically with their FEL or forks.
I just raise the 3pt hitch and put some Jack stands under the front of the mower. There’s no way it can lower (unless the top link fails).
I usually take a grinder to the blades to smooth the burrs and chips and pretend to give it an edge if I’m going to be mowing grass. Definitely nothing fancy. One doesn’t want a sharp blade for brush as you want to smash the stalk, not leave a pointed punji stick.

One day I will use the hole that is in the mower deck to access the blade bolts, from the top of the deck, and replace the blades.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #4  
By tightening my top link, then raising the 3 point hitch all the way, when I drive the rear wheels of the tractor up on a stout set of ramps the mower is then a good 3' off the ground (tractor is nose-down). I then put 4 tall jack stands under the frame of the mower, crawl under there with my angle grinder and touch up both blades. And yes, do NOT put a sharp edge on the blades.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #5  
I cheat and use my two post lift...
1685976703199.png

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #6  
Sharp blades cut thick grass much better than dull blades which will beat it up and lay it over as much as it cuts, I load my tractor on my gooseneck trailer take the 3rd link all the way up and lift the mower as high as the 3 point hitch will allow, back the tractor up until the mower is hanging off the trailer and I can walk right up underneath the edge and sharpen the blades with a handheld grinder, I do take a fence post and place it up under the deck of the mower in case of hydraulic failure. The blades don't have to be razor sharp to cut good but a nice edge will drastically improve your finished cut.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #7  
Sharp blades cut thick grass much better than dull blades which will beat it up and lay it over as much as it cuts, I load my tractor on my gooseneck trailer take the 3rd link all the way up and lift the mower as high as the 3 point hitch will allow, back the tractor up until the mower is hanging off the trailer and I can walk right up underneath the edge and sharpen the blades with a handheld grinder, I do take a fence post and place it up under the deck of the mower in case of hydraulic failure. The blades don't have to be razor sharp to cut good but a nice edge will drastically improve your finished cut.
Indeed this is another way. Just got to think out of the box a bit.
I like my blades sharp and always cut in a way that causes me to "recut" what I previously cut in the prior round. I mostly use this unit to top cut the pastures.
I have an older unit with no tail wheel that I use for cutting small trees etc.

/ "bushhog" Blade Sharpening #10  
Just sharpened the blades on my new (to me) brush hog. It came with my newer (lightly used) Kioti tractor in a package deal, but I didn't need it for the first couple summers, until now.

With my hydraulic top link, I can actually tip the sucker way up into the air. I put jack stands under the edges like others have recommended, then just lay down and sharpen with my angle grinder. Only takes 10 minutes.

My blades were already in good shape, but I like when it cuts the grass, instead of rips it, pulling it, bend it over, etc.

Y43sOen.jpg