Butchering Chickens

/ Butchering Chickens #51  
That is a really neat idea...
We did it the hard way...
Used a hatchet...
Did a lot of it too...
When I was a young boy my grandfather kept 300 layers and sold eggs...
We would get the peepies from a local hatchery and raise them up before butchering the old ones...
We would always have around 300 to do so it was an all day extravaganza...
The freezer was full of frozen chickens...
It is amazing that I still like them...
We ate chicken A LOT...

/ Butchering Chickens #52  
< I'm not much of a chicken eating person don't much care for them like eggs though but chickens are about the cheapest, quickest and easiest meat crop to raise. Particularly if you have enough land to allow them to be mostly range fed. Range fed chickens don't taste as much like chicken, I guess is the only way I can describe it. >

Big difference between free range and factory cardboard!:thumbsup:

/ Butchering Chickens #53  
Big difference between free range and factory cardboard!:thumbsup:

I guess that is why I don't care much for chicken if they are not range fed. Otherwise they taste too much like what I've have come to know as what chicken tastes like, might as well season up the packing and cook that instead. But that would hold true for almost all factory type food production

/ Butchering Chickens #55  
My sister and BIL had 6 chickens they wanted killed, but couldn't catch them. I said, I'll show ya how.

That night, after they were on the roost, I entered the henhouse with the machete in hand. My BIL was behind me. When I gave the word, he snapped on the flashlight.......all 6 hens raised their heads.....I swung the machete and took all six at one time.

Took half the night to clean those birds, considering that we had never done it before.:laughing:

/ Butchering Chickens #56  
A rendition of YE old Chicken chopper
chicken chopper 2.JPG
chicken chopper 3.JPG
chicken chopper 4.JPG
chicken chopper 5.JPG
chicken chopper1.JPG
Since I mentioned this thing I thought I would draw one up
Lift the blade until the trigger sets
Place chicken on chopping block close head restraint
Grip the handles of the blade lock and the trigger and squeeze
Blade lock will open first additional downward push may be required to release trigger
if trigger is pushed down without holding blade lock handle the lifting bail on the blade must be raised again to re cock the trigger
Blade cannot fall unless both handles are squeezed together
Padlock loop is to prevent accidental or unauthorized use by children
If nothing else this would make a cool novelty item to build
Disclaimer should someone decide to build this no responsibility for accidental injury shall be assumed on my part. All reasonable safety precautions were taken into account should there be additional safeties required or thought of the builder owner assumes full responsibility Any deviation in sizes or materials are up to the builder
Frank Surber

/ Butchering Chickens #57  
So, you guys spent a lot of time talking about cutting the heads off...

My wife doesn't pluck chickens, she skins them! Slickest thing I've learned in a while. I bet she can skin ten to most people plucking one.

/ Butchering Chickens #58  
So, you guys spent a lot of time talking about cutting the heads off...

My wife doesn't pluck chickens, she skins them! Slickest thing I've learned in a while. I bet she can skin ten to most people plucking one.

There is no doubt at all that skinning is much faster than plucking. It just depends on what result you want when you cook it. We do buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts, and even some thigh meat, but there's a reason you don't see whole chickens, either raw or rotisserie cooked, in the grocery stores.:laughing:

/ Butchering Chickens #59  
Sounds like me and fish. I'd whole lot rather slice off a couple of fillets than go to the trouble of scraping scales any day of the week. Don't always have that option though if fishing for hand sized blue gill

/ Butchering Chickens #60  
I like boneless chicken, but they just lay there on the dirt all day.

boneless chicken ranch.jpg