Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV?

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #1  

houska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h; Kubota KX-040
When we bought our land a year ago, previous owner temporarily left behind his ATV, a 2005 Honda Rubicon TRX500fa, allowing us to use it until he "figures out what to do with it".
It's been quite helpful as we get set up, for running around trails on the property, pulling stuff, etc.

He's coming back to pick up other stuff he left behind, but I don't think he has a clear plan for the ATV. I'm considering buying it off of him. We'll probably complement it with a 2nd, newer ATV or a UTV next year (in addition to our tractor), but having it will give us flexibility to buy the 2nd later, and it will be good to eventually have 2 vehicles rather than one.

It's been well used, with 1000 hrs and nearly 5000 miles (all on the same property). Runs well and has had regular annual maintenance (I'm told), but to my untrained eyes it looks like the tires need replacing. And it requires rocking back and forth in the seat to move the shifter between R, N, D, L rather more often than I would expect. I know that sometimes happens on any ATV, but here it seems to happen fairly often.

Should I be worried and stay away, or offer at most a symbolic amount for it, say $1000? Or is this par for the course for an old machine, and I should offer what similar-spec, similar-year used ATVs go for around here (more like C$3000-4500)? The guy's been fair and actually super generous with his time (and random "stuff") after selling to us, so I want to be fair, not chisel the best deal I can. But I also don't want to overpay for something people more knowledgeable about ATVs would say is clearly a piece of junk....advice please?

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #2  
Honda's are about as indestructible as they come;my BIL has a 1998 Honda Foreman 450 with 13,000 miles on it.He retired it a couple years ago and recently put a new carburetor on it and started it!Tires are a wear item,just replace them.Its worth more than $1000 U.S.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #3  
tires are a wear item, without seeing a pic i would say no on the 1000.00 as it may need a clutch sooner than latter.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #4  
Seeing you been using it and it works good, I would make an offer and not worry about the miles. 5k sounds like a lot but tons of Hondas have a LOT more than that on them.

Last edited:
   / Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #5  
I had a 2007 Honda 420 with the electric shift that after 6 years developed that same habit of needing to rock it to get it into gear at times......then a few years later it started to freeze between shifts randomly. Very complex trannie so many different things that might of been problem (even a low battery confuses trannie also various internal sensors) eventually gave to my son in law and yes it is still running but random trannie problems persist. Internet search shows problems common and various suggestions . Loved the bike still.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV?
Thanks for the advice/reassurance. Deal acceptable to both parties reached.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #7  
Just sold my Honda Foreman 400 for 3 grand. Had a line of buyers (CL) wanting it. First one with the cash got it. 1994, bought new, well maintained, I know it was, I maintained it.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #8  
Prety much anything honda will hold its value quite well. As for the shifting issue you will have to look up whats involved in fixing that. But hey at least you know now that an ATV is a very handy tool that you can hardlynlive without. I find a utv with a bed even more handy.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #9  
Everyone I know who has those old Hondas swears by them. They last forever.

5000 miles isn't much if the unit has been maintained. My Yamaha has 8000 miles on it, over some very extreme terrain (I NEED that front locker!), and is still going strong.

/ Buy well-used Honda 2005 TRX500 ATV? #10  
They are handy to have around. As long as it works most any ATV is worth a grand or more.

I have a well worn Kawasaki Bayou 400 that is still very solid mechanically, but has started having some electrical problems of late. I can't complain though, it was fully depreciated a long time ago so I figure any service I get out of it is a bonus. I suspect you will get your money's worth in work out of that Honda.