buying a drill press chuck?

/ buying a drill press chuck? #11  
Once needed a chuck to repair a Milwaukee hole hawg. It used a 5/8" thread and prices were wild.

Went to the Jacob's web site and found cross references that allowed me to buy a 1/2" (Ebay) that shared common parts.
That Jacob's web site was simply awesome as to parts breakdown and commonality.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #12  
I really like my Jacobs super chucks. They run true more often than not, and hold up to a lot of bit slipping before going wonky.

Ones I find super cheap often just need to be broken down and cleaned in some lacquer thinner or acetone due to their grease drying out (makes them stiff). Light oil on reassembly and they're good to go.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #13  
Just ran across this site too. Can't link it for some reason.

Zoro Industrial Supplies go to their tools and cutting area to find a big list of chucks.

Hey Mace, I'd like to see that keyless chuck you spoke of. I have no idea about ones that strong. Thanks!

/ buying a drill press chuck? #14  
I have to wonder why some people feel a keyless wouldn't be suitable. I use a keyless chuck on my BP clone mill with no problem and have drilled holes 1 5/16 in diameter with it through the flanges of an 8 inch I-beam.

I just bought a friend a keyless CKS-16-J6 Llambrich chuck for Christmas this year...it's rated for medium duty industrial usage.

I agree, the albrechts I mentioned earlier are smoother and truer than any jacobs I ever used... of course most of the jacobs I've seen have been used/abused for many years.

The way I was turned on to them was by a guy that worked with me for a while. He had a lot of machining background (I'm an industrial mechanic). We had one sitting around that we didn't use, on day he asked "why don't you use this chuck, they are the best made?" I used it and it was noticeably better than the jacobs that was in there. Well later I found out why we didn't use it, there's an old stubborn guy that is so anti-keyless he would come in everyday and if he noticed the "wrong" chuck in the drill press, he would change it out- even if he didn't use the drill press for weeks. He would then sort of hide the keyless one.

I later found out we had a second albrecht floating around and I tried that one, it was even better.

I have also seen that jacobs has keyless chucks, I would suspect them to be good as well.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #15  
The only problem with keyless is if you power tap with it. Spinning them backwards under load will open the jaws.

/ buying a drill press chuck?
Thanks for your input. I am going with a keyless chuck. Still working on finding the best one for the little money I have. Looking at all the sights you all suggested. Thanks again, Ed

/ buying a drill press chuck? #19  
I find the key less good for the smaller bits , on larger bits 3/8 and above I have had some problems, prefer a key chuck on the larger ones, granted I have only had 1/2 key less chucks

/ buying a drill press chuck?
Ordered a 5/8 Grizzly keyless chuck from Grizzly. First thing I have ordered from them, should be here this week. Will let you know what I think after I have tried it a few times. Thanks, Ed