buying a drill press chuck?

/ buying a drill press chuck? #21  
Decent prices and quality. Excellent customer service in my experience.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #22  
If you ever have a chance to visit a Grizzly showroom, it's pretty impressive. For woodworkers like me, there's all kinds of eye candy. Have both their bandsaw and jointer. Good quality at a good price.

/ buying a drill press chuck?
I got the chuck yesterday and I like it so far. I drilled one 3/8 hole in a 1/4" mild steel bar and it worked well. I still have about the same wobble I had with the old chuck. Hope I can get it out we will see.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #24  
Many times the issue with a chuck, either keyed or keyless is just the arbor it is mounted on. Often you can separate the chuck from the arbor, clean extremely well, then remount. If the chuck doesn't seem to want to stay on whatever taper it was on, clean again and rub the taper with dry stick chalk(like carpenters chalk or blackboard chalk) then reassemble and check for run out again. The chalk trick also works very well for any Morse taper that doesn't want to stay in place as well.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #25  
For anything over 1/2" I'd be looking to ditch the chuck and get MT drills :2cents:

The old chuck had spun on the taper and had galled pretty bad and I figured that was the problem. I cleaned up the taper and the old chuck stayed on, but had a bad wobble, so bad I couldn't use bits under 1/8" or they shaped off. The new chuck has close to the same wobble and I hope to get it out but 30° in the shop makes me want to stay in the house. I hope to get out there soon and check the fit between the two.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #27  
I have decided to fix the old Cummins press I got with some other equipment I got a few years ago. It has a lot of wobble in the chuck but the shaft is pretty good. The bottom of the chuck is .005 out but the shaft is only .0005 out.
Where is a good place to buy a new chuck? Looked online at Grizzly but they only had keyless chucks that seems gold that I can afford. I need a 5/8 chuck with a JT 3 for about 50$ to 75$. I wonder if a keyless chuck would do with a 1" bit in mild steel? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Try Grizzly p/n H6204.

/ buying a drill press chuck? #29  
You may need to put a reamer in your quill if it's that chewed up. It happens.

This old drill press has a built-in jt3 taper built into the end of the spindle that is not removable. The old chuck was badly scared on the taper. I had .005 wobble on the end of the chuck. And with the new chuck (a Grizzly keyless) I only have 3/4 of one thousands, a lot better! The shop is still cold and I have done very little in there, but the chuck seems to hold well. With a little more testing I am thinking of getting another for my small press. Thanks again for all the help. Ed