Buying a front-mount mower?

/ Buying a front-mount mower? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I currently mow about 3 acres of grass with a 42" Deere D130. I only had about an acre when I purchased it, but started mowing a new area, and then planted another acre of grass, etc. I do not have a whole lot of trees/etc to mow around, probably 15, total, but one acre is fenced in, another acre is bounded by field on 3 sides, etc... so there is turning around to do every 150-200'. Around the house and driveway there are long paths which would benefit from the 72" deck and I'm sure the front-mount would be great, just not sure about the turning around part.

I've been considering the following long-term solutions:

1. Large zero-turn (60" or 72").
2. Sub-compact tractor like a B-series, BX, Kioti CS, etc. Advantage is I could use it for towing a small spreader on the lawn, dethatcher, sweeper, etc. a lot better. My NX is way too big to use on the lawn.

A third solution has come up, and I'm curious about your opinion. I found a Kubota 72" 2wd front-mount mower (F2560) with a 72" deck for a reasonable price, 25hp diesel with low hours. This seems like it would be great. The bad thing is I am not sure I could mow my ditches with it given the 72" deck, so I might still use the D130 for those, and I am not sure if a front-mount is maneuverable enough for what I want to do.

Thoughts?

/ Buying a front-mount mower? #2  
you already have another tractor, and a skid steer from looking at profile. sounds like a zero turn is in your calling.

see if you can mount a little "hitch" on back side of a zero turn.
or
simply wait till everything is dry before running one of your other units on the yard to do yard work (sounds like better option)

zero turn more likely be quicker just due to turning.

most decks have a couple gauge wheels out in front. some decks have a central "roller" up on the front to keep front from scalping the ground. some decks also have rear gauge wheels and some decks also have a rear central roller...

other words lots of ways to help prevent scalping of the grass down into the dirt.
gauge wheel -> front center roller <-gauge wheel (front side of deck)
gauge wheel -> rear center roller <- gauge wheel (rear side of deck)

if your ditches change slop to quickly... then another pass or two maybe needed. *shrugs*

/ Buying a front-mount mower? #3  
We have 3-1/2 acres and it would be painful to do it with a 42" deck. While you will likely see different opinions on front vs. rear and finish vs. flail, I'd expect there's agreement on going at least 5' wide. a 6' RFM works great for me.

/ Buying a front-mount mower? #4  
------------------------

A third solution has come up, and I'm curious about your opinion. I found a Kubota 72" 2wd front-mount mower (F2560) with a 72" deck for a reasonable price, 25hp diesel with low hours. This seems like it would be great. The bad thing is I am not sure I could mow my ditches with it given the 72" deck, so I might still use the D130 for those, and I am not sure if a front-mount is maneuverable enough for what I want to do.

Thoughts?
A front deck mower is very maneuverable.

With this TORO 72" deck I can put the right side of the deck against a tree or a power pole and mow a 360 degree circle, just like a zero turn would do.

434759-buying-front-mount-mower-pb020004-jpg

434760-buying-front-mount-mower-pb020007-jpg

434761-buying-front-mount-mower-pb020008-jpg

With 4WD it is very good on side hills also. :thumbsup:

434762-buying-front-mount-mower-p5250002-jpg

434763-buying-front-mount-mower-p5250018-jpg

Attachments

• PB020004.JPG
    PB020004.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 2,394
  • PB020007.JPG
    PB020007.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 2,600
  • PB020008.JPG
    PB020008.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 1,477
  • P5250002.JPG
    P5250002.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 1,835
  • P5250018.JPG
    P5250018.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 1,535
Last edited:
   / Buying a front-mount mower? #5  
I'm in the same boat. Looked at the front mounts and if I could find one used in good shape for reasonable price I would take it. Has advantages over zero turn and i think they would be great on side slopes, also allow to get up under trees.