Buying advice for small but powerful loader

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #1  

MapleKing

Tractor
Not yet
I'm new to the forum and I thought this would be the best place to ask experienced tractor owners what model they would consider for the tasks I have. I know typically pallet moving would be done by a forklift but I can't use one due to terrain and besides, a tractor is more versatile!

I currently don't own a tractor but I have a need for something to move 1600lb pallets into the back of my pickup and/or a trailer about once a week. I also would like to get a front mounted snowblower so I'm thinking that a tractor would be my best bet. I'm a maple syrup producer and I will be packing containers into cases in my sugarhouse and once I have a full pallet, I need to move it to the back of my truck or a trailer. The pallets will weigh about 1600lbs. Ideally I'd like the smallest tractor that can do that job and I'm looking for a loader that would have pallet forks and not forks attached to a bucket.

Any thoughts on the smallest tractor that could move 1600lb pallets? I'm not loyal to any brand and am willing to use whatever machine is the best for the job.

Thanks!

Dave

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #2  
You’re looking at a pretty good size tractor do do that. I’d say a big framed 40 hp would be the absolute minimum.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #3  
Have you thought about using a skid steer? If all you're using it for is snow clearing and moving pallets, a skid-steer would probably be more effective than a tractor. On a tractor to pick up that much weight, you'll need to be around 40 horsepower.

Aaron Z

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #5  
I second skid steer, I love tractors but seems a skid steer would serve you better.

If FEL work is all you plan todo, you can buy a much more capable skid steer for what you would wrap up in a tractor. Would be more stable also vs having to add ballast on a tractor. Metal ballast is around $1 per pound, liquid ballast is cheaper.

Buy one you can get parts for, doesn’t matter as much about brand as it does parts availability, they all will eventually break down.

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #6  
Good advice from experienced contributors. All tractor alternatives suggested have REAR ENGINES and four equal size wheels.

You can use a FRONT ENGINE tractor for loading pallets but not only do you need a 4,500 - 5,500 pound bare weight tractor, you need considerable Loader counterbalance on the Three Point Hitch to make FEL lifts safely. Loader + tractor + implement counterbalance makes a long combination which may limit warehouse access.

Lifting and transporting heavy loads with a tractor-loader is a primary cause of tractor rollovers. Jarred maple syrup likely fragile if the tractor shifts abruptly.

Small front wheels and large rear wheels provide tractor pulling power but make tractors inherently unstable.

I'm looking for a loader with direct attach pallet forks, not forks which attach to a bucket.
The nomenclature for direct attach FEL forks is SKID STEER QUICK ATTACH (SSQA) pallet forks, an industry standard for tractors and skid steers.

KUBOTA 'MX' LINK: https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/brochure-sheets/mx5800.pdf?sfvrsn=1c71be0c_4

Attachments

• DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / Buying advice for small but powerful loader #7  
Welcome to TBN. :thumbsup:

You could get a 3pt forklift attachment for a tractor.

Here's two, one has a 1300kg capacity, about 2800#.
3 Point Hitch Forklift,Tractor Forklift,Hydraulic Fork Lift Attachment

There's a bunch of youtube videos on 3pt forklifts.
Hyster Tractor Rear Mounted Forklift - YouTube

A friend of mine scrapped out an old electric forklift at my old employer for free. He took the mast that had a 4000# capacity and made it into a 3pt forklift for his Ford 4000 tractor. Works great and has a 20' lift! Which is nuts! :laughing: Could tip you backwards in a heartbeat at that height if not careful.

The beauty of a 3pt mast is that you could put shoes on it to act as wheelie bars to help stabilize.

Another alternative is a wheeled, articulated loader, like a Kubota R series. Many orchards, nurseries, landscapers, etc... have those types of machines around the warehouse areas.

And, of course, my favorite brand, a PowerTrac in the T24 class, PT1460. Has a 2400# lift capacity.
T24 Class

Over 30 attachments.
http://power-trac.com/index_htm_files/tractordieselT24price081017.pdf

And their quick attach feature is pretty much amazing. Change an implement in 15 seconds without getting off the machine!

But I'm biased to that brand for some reason.... ;)

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #8  
I would look into Kubota's dedicated TLB line. These 'tractors' are considerably beefed up versions of their more 'ag' oriented counterparts. They are meant to be commercial machines, vs. our more homeowner/hobby farmer tractors. These will lift much more due to their dedicated (non removable) loaders and heavier frames. https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/tractor-loader-backhoe

I don't think a skid steer is a bad idea either, very capable machines, but since you asked specifically about tractors, I think the loader lift capacity of the TLB would suffice. They are very spend however!

/ Buying advice for small but powerful loader #9  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

My 'vote' is also for a skid steer. Your voiced needs of heavy lift/fork-work and snow-blowing can both be accomplished by this type of vehicle. There are many manufacturers of this "Bobcat" type rig.

Enjoy the site.